Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have huge doubts that this incident is as reported - no way would they be shooting at people. It would also be almost impossible to hit someone accuarately with small arms at that range on two ships on the open swell.

Finally, it you get hit by a bullet, you'd know - it would hurt like hell and leave a big bruise.

I have huge doubts that this incident is as reported - no way would they be shooting at people. It would also be almost impossible to hit someone accuarately with small arms at that range on two ships on the open swell.

Finally, it you get hit by a bullet, you'd know - it would hurt like hell and leave a big bruise.
Me too.....

Mark you.......if someone was throwing acid at me on the high seas........I'd probably get pretty pissed.

Whining because someone (supposedly) fought back?

Gutless.

From the article,

At the time the shot was fired, the Japanese whaling vessel Nisshin Maru was moving parallel to the Steve Irwin in stormy seas. The high level of movement indicates that the shot must have been fired by an expert.

Too much TV and Lethal Weapon 1,2,and 3.

This shot was obviously taken by an alien who is collecting whale sperm for space ship fuel.

I am very sorry to hear about any shots being fired at Sea Shepherd Captain Paul Watson. I have supported his team with fins. I admire and commend his teams' dedication to saving whales.

After reading these, a few thoughts/questions come to mind.
Why isn't Capt. Watson notifying the "International Powers" that International Laws are being violated; and some type of fine/incarceration be levied by the "International Powers" if laws are being violated? The law here will arrest you, if you're caught poaching or hunting outlawed game.
The comment that the shooter was an expert could as easily be explained as unlucky, since the seas were rough and the vessels were also underway.Hell of a shot.
Capt. Watson's tactics remind me of the anti-hunters here; get in the the face of hunters, antagonistic, and sometimes down right threatening, and then complaining when the actions are reciprocated.
I've never tried whale, haven't any desire to do so. If the Japanese or anyone else is whaling illegally, then nail 'em for it (legally). Hold the activists to the same standard. If they are harrassing legal operations, then nail 'em for it (legally).

My .02 cents......The big picture here is trying to save endangered whales and whales in general. If people tried to go through the so called "International Law" route, how long would that take? Many months? Years? Now, how does that equate into the number of whales being killed? Hundreds? Thousands? I commend Capt. Watson and the Sea Shepard Society for taking a proactive stance against what is most likely illegal (to be determined) whaling. While the international courts, several countries, and the United Nations sit around and try to figure out the legallity of this situation, the Japanese, if not monitored and slowed down, will keep on killing hundreds or thousands of whales under the guise of research. The "research" excuse came the next year after the International Moratorium took affect that Japan agreed to. If we sit back and treat criminals like this in our own cities and no one gets involved to stop them, then the criminals will rule the streets. If the campaign that Capt Watson and his crew are engaged in isn't done, then who will keep Japan from destroying the whale populations?

My LE agency shoots and qualifies from moving vessels and it is not difficult to hit a man sized target from an unstable platform. Especially with a longarm weapon.

embeded reporters. :shakehead:

I'm sure if Animal Planet's reporters would report the action unfavorably to SS, they would not stay on the ship very long.

btw, I'm not a pro-commercial whaling myself. Too much waste. But SS methods are just not acceptable. That's all

My .02 cents......The big picture here is trying to save endangered whales and whales in general. If people tried to go through the so called "International Law" route, how long would that take? Many months? Years? Now, how does that equate into the number of whales being killed? Hundreds? Thousands? I commend Capt. Watson and the Sea Shepard Society for taking a proactive stance against what is most likely illegal (to be determined) whaling. While the international courts, several countries, and the United Nations sit around and try to figure out the legallity of this situation, the Japanese, if not monitored and slowed down, will keep on killing hundreds or thousands of whales under the guise of research. The "research" excuse came the next year after the International Moratorium took affect that Japan agreed to. If we sit back and treat criminals like this in our own cities and no one gets involved to stop them, then the criminals will rule the streets. If the campaign that Capt Watson and his crew are engaged in isn't done, then who will keep Japan from destroying the whale populations?

I think SS should put their energy into helping promote enforcement of Int. Law if that is what is needed to expedite the enforcement of laws. Taking a proactive stance against what is "most likely illegal (to be determined)" is harrassment if found to be legal. That will just increase the confrontations. However noble the cause may be, if there is a chance the actions of the whalers are legal, the SS is using the wrong approach and are setting themselves up for possible legal actions, injury, and diminish their credibility for a large part of the population; by appearing as extremists/activists.
IMHO

My LE agency shoots and qualifies from moving vessels and it is not difficult to hit a man sized target from an unstable platform. Especially with a longarm weapon.

I don't disagree. I'm pretty darned good myself. I was just playing Devil's Advocate to the statement that the shooter was an expert. Just because someone was hit, doesn't make the shooter an expert. For all anyone knows, he may have been aiming over their heads and he is a poor shooter. Hell, blind squirrels find a nut every now and then.
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom