JellyFish in the Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, trust me it is good information to know ahead of time. The back of my knee still has a nasty scar that sometimes itches and gets irritated. Watch out for those buggers!

I have been seeing a lot of smaller jelies with a very bright blue mantle and extremely long tenticles. Nothing that I have seen here in 4 or 5 years. Also lots of port man o wars. Not a lot of straight moon jellies either.. Strange

The GG are every where this year. more than I have seen in years. I dont know if it is good or bad/

Not seen any of those and I been diving about 2 days a week for the last month.

Far as the GG go, as Instructormike already pointed out it is a big draw for the Non-fishing Dive boats. My opinion is bad for any other type of diver or H&L boat. I have not had to fight a GG for my fish yet but have heard about it. I Have been land locked for about 2 years and went to one of my only honey holes that I still haver numbers for, It is a ledge that I found that runs mostly north to south, but has a 90degree turn in it that heads west. It has lots of holes from top to bottom and some small caverns underneath the swiss cheese top. bout 60' deep. I dropped down thinking i would bag my groupers and there were non to be found..... I had been passing it for a couple weeks due to the fact there were boats in the area but non within a mile of this perticular spot. Lo and behold soon as I turned the corner going west I saw a big fat tale musta been a 300+ pounder. Went back with some other divers a little farther north same ledge and we spoted 3 more. after 3 opinions we decided the biggest was about 350ish.
I had fished this ledge about once every 6 weeks all year round for 3 years before I quit Boating for two years there was always fish there. better than average Hogs and Grouper. Now that the GG have moved in I came up on both dives with a empty stringer. Just my 2 cents

I have been seeing a lot of smaller jelies with a very bright blue mantle and extremely long tenticles. Nothing that I have seen here in 4 or 5 years. Also lots of port man o wars. Not a lot of straight moon jellies either.. Strange

ARE you saying you did see a lot of Portuguese Man-of War ? They are always floating on the surface and have that purple sail up to catch the wind.

Most jelies with LONG tenticles hurt really bad!

ONLY saw friendly jelies this week.

Echoo,

I commercial spearfish every week for over 20 years and have run into what you talked about at least a dozen times. IT hurts more when they clean out my special lobster spots.

Taking my wife there for Mini Season. Plan to spend 2 night off shore diving. My tanks racks hold 26 tanks and we will just load them up and dive as much as possible for two days.

(I never shot less then 50 pounds of grouper a day and averaged 150 to 200 pounds a day. IF you want some suggestion on how we did it P.M. me or email me at flamike@Tampabay.rr.com
Shot Thousands of pounds of jacks, the most was a 1,000 pounds in about 3 hours between 3 of us when I won diver of the day at the ST. Pete Open. All my numbers are loran numbers... Old school)

Same thing with sea bass. If you are H & L fishing and are catching a lot of sea bass I can almost promise you that there are no grouper of any size on that ledge. Within 24 to 48 hours after the grouper move in the sea bass all leave or get eaten.

NOW with my charter business I LOVE GG.

I got worried when there was non on the VET Barge or Airplane barge last Thursday.

Did Rube Allen this weekend and there were lots of them there.

My wife shot some cool video of the GG this weekend.

Check out our trip pictures from This Sat and Sun on our Web Site.
Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat Good GG stuff.

Video quailty is not to good because she shot it with her old camera. She just bought a new G-10 so future stuff will be better.

Still pretty cool to look at.

Have trips booked Wed thru Sunday so I will check out the VET barge and see if the GG are Back.

They are GREAT for my business. I LOVE the GG ......now!

F Y I.

GOT this today from the RED TIDE people I work with. I collect samples for them.

Thought I would share it.

Watch what you eat. Please let me know if you see any bloom or dead fish. Shot me the lat/Long and I will run there and take samples.

Thanks.

Capt. Mike

Hello Pinellas County Volunteers,
There is a bloom of Pyrodinium bahamense in Tampa Bay that is causing some concern. Pyrodinium bahamense is listed as a harmful algal bloom species. It produces a toxin called saxitoxin in puffer fish, which results in Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning to humans. Please take samples this month in different areas when you are out around that area. We would like to monitor the size of the blooms and where they are heading. Thank you for everything.

Karen
Karen Henschen, Coordinator
Red Tide Offshore Monitoring Program
Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
100 Eighth Avenue SE
St. Petersburg, Fl 33701
727-896-8626 x1561
RTOMP_coordinator@myfwc.com

The PinkMeanies are back! Scuba Ann and III went out in Clearwater today and said there were lots of them. May want to be double sure to pack your skin or whatever. Those things pack a hell of a sting.

:shakehead:
The PinkMeanies are back! Scuba Ann and III went out in Clearwater today and said there were lots of them. May want to be double sure to pack your skin or whatever. Those things pack a hell of a sting.

Yep! I dived today without any skin on but after I jumped in for my first dive I nearly climbed out and got some skin. I ended up leaving the skin off because they were sparse enough, but I don't imagine that will be the case in even a week...

We have them down in Venice also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom