JellyFish in the Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some shots III took today off Clearwater

PICT0295.jpg

PICT0296.jpg

Pink Meanies. I saw three & when I came up for a break, I could feel stinging around the arm & leg of my shortie. Ya know how it gets when there are a lot in the water. I wasn't actually stung but another diver who came in after me got nailed on his arm.

Pink meanies I think Girlfriend. I got into them on the weekend of 8/22 but just thought it was me. Wore a skin on 8/29 and glad I did. Still have the marks on legs and arms from 8/22 dive ... ~~~fossilbabe~~~

This is a Pink Meanie:
IMG_0736.jpg

Those that ScubaAnn posted I believe are Sea Nettles. They max at 3 1/2 feet. Per Humann: White to whitish translucent with numerous small warts on dome and four ruffled oral arms; 24, and occasionally 40, long tentacles attach to the dome's scalloped margin (Ann's pics seem to show a scalloped dome). Dome occasionally marked with 16 radiating bands of color. Mildly toxic - causes skin irritation but in some causes a severe reaction.

It could also be a Warty JellyFish that maxes at 4". If so, per Humann: Surface of dome has nematocyst-bearing warts. Eight highly contractile marginal tentacles and four long, frilly oral arms. Translucent, often pinkish with pink warts and tentacles, occasinally purple, yellow and brown. Luminescent at night. Effect on divers: Toxic; contact with bare skin can produce an intense sting. May cause redness and welts.

Me thinks I am going to start bringing my epi-pen when I go diving. Along with the Benadryl already in my save-a-dive kit. Face planting into one of those nettles last year was no fun :no:

Looks like a Sea Nettle to me also, but I have been wrong before. :D Just a note on the Pink Meanies, I have read that Pink Meanies can have Tentacles that can be 10 to 15 feet long, so be careful if you see one, it can "reach out and touch you" from several feet away. :palmtree: Bob

Here is a link to the Monterey Bay Aquarium:
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/AnimalDetails.aspx?legacyid=119

Last edited:
This is a Pink Meanie:
IMG_0736.jpg

Those that ScubaAnn posted I believe are Sea Nettles. They max at 3 1/2 feet. Per Humann: White to whitish translucent with numerous small warts on dome and four ruffled oral arms; 24, and occasionally 40, long tentacles attach to the dome's scalloped margin (Ann's pics seem to show a scalloped dome). Dome occasionally marked with 16 radiating bands of color. Mildly toxic - causes skin irritation but in some causes a severe reaction.

It could also be a Warty JellyFish that maxes at 4". If so, per Humann: Surface of dome has nematocyst-bearing warts. Eight highly contractile marginal tentacles and four long, frilly oral arms. Translucent, often pinkish with pink warts and tentacles, occasinally purple, yellow and brown. Luminescent at night. Effect on divers: Toxic; contact with bare skin can produce an intense sting. May cause redness and welts.

Me thinks I am going to start bringing my epi-pen when I go diving. Along with the Benadryl already in my save-a-dive kit. Face planting into one of those nettles last year was no fun :no:

Whoa!!! What I saw looked pink & mean but not as mean as that puppy!! I stand corrected & hope I don't ever run into one of those!!!:shakehead:

Ok - spotted the Jelly at the end of our dive trip on Rube Allyn yesterday. It was the biggest Jelly I have seen and pretty amazing to watch. Think it is a Cauliflower Jelly. Can anyone confirm that it is?

09-27-09_Dive_Trip_060.jpg

09-27-09_Dive_Trip_061.jpg

09-27-09_Dive_Trip_062.jpg

09-27-09_Dive_Trip_063.jpg

Thanks

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom