Jellyfish Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Invasion of the Jellyfish.
They're everywhere, absolutely everywhere!

Dove the Blue Heron Bridge today and it was like playing dodge ball.
I feel so itchy and twitchy. :(

We were over by the channel when a big boat went through....creating jellyfish puree in its wake. I was ok til then, but that made the remainder of the dive a bit too "sparkly" for my taste. I was wearing a full diveskin, so only my neck got it badly...my buddy was wearing a rashguard and shorts. Back at the car, vinegar and the showers were our friends...

I was off the Breakers Yesterday. Water was smooth but there were jellies everywhere from the surface to about twenty feet deep. I had a full wetsuit but no hood so I got zapped on the neck and cheek.

Bottom temperature was a pretty constant 85 degrees. Current was mild to ripping in a northerly direction. Visibility was 30 to down right crappy at times.

Maybe next week things will get better.

DMDavid, Yes, across the river from Fernandina. I dive with Divers Den, usually every weekend.

Yesterday Davis was infested with them but less than a mile away at Davey/Crocker hardly any!

Just got home from PCB yesterday from 3 days of diving. The jellyfish seemed to be rather thick. I managed to get popped by one on the chin. Felt like being punched with a white hot iron. Never saw the one that got me, but I was sore & tender for about 24 hrs.

Here is the updated list of locations that have reported in the past few days:

- Fernandina Beach
- Blue Heron Bridge
- Deerfield
- Delray Beach
- Pompano Beach & Reefs
- Hillsboro Inlet
- Jupiter
- Miami Beach
- Key Largo
- Islamorda Key - Davis Reef
- Marathon Key
- Key West
- Panama City Beach
- St Marys/St Simons & Cumberland Island, Ga.

I would say that just about covers most of the state.

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom