Jellyfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was about five to ten feet below the surface While I was turning and swimming down is when I hit the Jelly with my fin. On my thigh is the only place I had to remove anything by brushing it off. the Vinegar from the boat didn't let the pain increase the Ice water helped relieve the pain the most.

I will be carrying Hydrocortizone cream of the strongest % in my dive bag and first aid kit from now on. Then again why won't peanut butter work on a jellyfish :)?

CaptainDave,

You can disagree with folks without engaging in invective: how about just telling Rick that you disagree and would appreciate seeing his references? Normally, I would not write this as a "public" message, but you have not allowed folks to e-mail you.

Please, let's try to be a little more polite to each other. Okay?

Joewr

Well, I found the paper at
http://www.realsurf.com/shealth/whoblue.htm
It supports NOT using vinegar for PMOW stings.
"When I was a lad, vinegar was prescribed as a cure as was rubbing it with sand. This is clearly wrong from what I've described above and will only cause the unfired nematocysts to discharge into the skin thus increasing the degree of the sting. Firing of nematocysts is a first year university prac and it is induced by adding vinegar to the bluebottle tentacle while viewing it under a microscope."
It has some more recent description of the toxin itself if you're interested.
Sorry you think this is bull, captdave... it's just the facts.
Rick

Why then if vinegar is not to be used, Why did it help me? was this purple blueish jellyfish not a MOW?

Well, here is a reference that is 4 years old and seems to comfirm Rick's approach: http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/portugue.html

And, I guess, Fishkiller, it could have been a different creature. I will search around for photos of other jelly fish that live in the area.

Joewr

Fishkiller, here's a line from the article that joewr found that may apply
"Most Hawaii Portuguese man-of-war stings disappear by themselves, sometimes within 15 or 20 minutes. Because of this, even harmful therapies often appear to work." This would also explain captdave's 45 minute success even using vinegar.
But here's the deal - from your posts what I'm visualizing is that the body of the jellyfish with which you had an encounter was under water. If this is the case, it was a blue jellyfish - of which there are many - and not a Portugese Man-o-war, whose main distinguishing characteristic is the floating air-filled pneumatophore, or "bluebottle."
Rick

I have treated dozens of people with the above remedy very sucessfully..When we put the man of war under the microscope at the University of Arizona and then added Vinegar it was completely neutralized...I have seen this with my own eyes..I suggest rick that the reference you are using is very very wrong..I hope I didn't offend you I'm just ex Navy..I don't know why I can't be e mailed I do allow this..

I am retired Navy; I was V2 on Ranger. It is impossible to offend me.
Love,
Lurch

Hi,
I checked out the Aloha reference and I think I have found the discrepancy..The Portugese man of war or the larger type vs the Pacific man of war or the smaller type..
Aparently Vinegar is not recommended for the large guys. I can only say we tested on the smaller version. The article states vinegar may be effective on the smaller man of war. Therefore Vinegar is still a viable remedy on the small version..Since we do not have the Portugese in US territorial waters and in my area of Mexico, My remedy is absolutely correct..I guess Hawaii gets the large babies.Hawaii is in US waters so don't correct me on this omission.

After looking at the referenced treatment more closely. I see they recommend the hydrocortzone and benadryl as I stated earlier..I have to disagree with their cleaning..They say to flush with salt or fresh water..I know that fresh water will make the cells re-fire..on the smaller version..I cannot speak to the larger version but I think they may be wrong here also..

my e mail address is seaofcortez@earthlink.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom