Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WD,

If GMC still makes the buckles, I'm pretty sure that they were $2.00/each (MSRP). I suppose your LDS can sell them for whatever people are willing to pay for them. Trident distributes the brass buckle assembly for the USD Rocket fins, I wonder if these would fit Jet Fins; Hmm....

I'm actually not trying to restore my fins to a "pre-cut" state. I have been asked by a friend to put spring straps on his jet fins, and I use the brass buckle assembly to attach the spring straps to the fin.

ifukuda:
WD,

If GMC still makes the buckles, I'm pretty sure that they were $2.00/each (MSRP). I suppose your LDS can sell them for whatever people are willing to pay for them. Trident distributes the brass buckle assembly for the USD Rocket fins, I wonder if these would fit Jet Fins; Hmm....

I'm actually not trying to restore my fins to a "pre-cut" state. I have been asked by a friend to put spring straps on his jet fins, and I use the brass buckle assembly to attach the spring straps to the fin.

Is the spring covered in that picture? If not, I would cover it with something like a piece of nylon webbing tube or hose.

ifukuda,

Those look great. Nice clean and simple. Definitely slide a piece of 1/2" clear PVC tubing (local hardware store) over the spring if you haven't already. Bare springs have a nasty habit of grabbing everything from underwater vegetation to small lines to skin. The covering aids in gripping your fin boots and in grabbing the strap for removal.

Wow, what alot of talk about FIN STRAPS! I love over-thinking things.......

WD

I originally had a piece of pvc tubing on the strap. But, I found it to be too bulky and uncomfortable so I removed it.

I've since done about 150 dives without covering the springs, and have not had any entanglement or comfort issues. But, nylon-webbing-tube might be something I might consider when I make my next set of straps. Where would I find webbing tube?

ifukuda:
I originally had a piece of pvc tubing on the strap. But, I found it to be too bulky and uncomfortable so I removed it.

I've since done about 150 dives without covering the springs, and have not had any entanglement or comfort issues. But, nylon-webbing-tube might be something I might consider when I make my next set of straps. Where would I find webbing tube?

REI, Sport Chalet, along with many internet retailers.

Halcyon uses webbing tube to cover their spring straps so I'm sure it works.

Just wondering, what are so special about these kinds of staps? I've been seeing them in local dive shops and wondering what the pros and cons about these are.

ifukuda:

REI sounds like a great source with all of the climbing gear they carry. Also, try http://www.strapworks.com/tubularnylonwebbing.html . They sell it as "tubular nylon". Cheap too.

If I ever get some, I will give it a try. I would probably cut the tube twice as long as the stretched spring, singe both ends with a flame, and double each end back inside itself. That way, you would have a double thickness with the tag ends stuffed securely inside. Now I want to order some and try it!!

WD

puckvirus:
Just wondering, what are so special about these kinds of staps? I've been seeing them in local dive shops and wondering what the pros and cons about these are.

Puckvirus,

PROS: durability, sexiness (to a DIY'er), versatile one size fits most, and ease of on/off

CONS: it seems like I'm never done with improving them.....

WD

I have a question on everyone's usage for the 'cave line'. Instead of using the nylon line I used stainless steel cable crimped with lead fasteners. Overkill? probably

ifukuda:
Global Manufacturing Corporation used to make knock-offs of the Jet Fin buckle assemblies for about $2.00 each. I don't see this item listed on their site, does anyone know if they still make this part?

Yes, they do. Part number: 53050. Can't find my current pricelist though, but I'm pretty sure the price has jumped. Been a while since I ordered any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom