Jet Fins are good...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrk:
Anyone know if the material, or flex, of this fin has changed over the years.

Yes, they changed the composition in the late 70's or early 80's. Look for the lightning bolt.

terenceg:
have u tried FORCE FINS ? they work Wonders !!!!!!....

Or you could simply straighten your legs when kicking. That works even better.

DennisW:
I think jet fins are best for all diving. I've tried a couple other types of fins including some split fins. Don't like any of the other fins. With my jets, I can swim fast with out even trying and slow is even better. And, you can hardly wear them out. Although I did see a pair that finally wore out. They were at least 25 years old.

I'm a rare bird. I truly love 'em both for different diving. Jets are so awesome to "cruise in" especially with different types of kicks (like frog kick especially) however I really enjoy diving with my Oceanic V12's from time to time depending on where I'm going. I truly haul ass in my V12's with a tight fast kick or just lightly cruise and feel nothing at all..very smooth. The Jets are great too because if you want a big thrust all you have to do is give 'em a big "bite" and off you go. I did my 3 minute safety stop in a 1/2 knot current last week (in Maui) with my Jets (it was a drift dive so no rope) and it was like an arobics work out but I have to say a couple divers had Apollo Bio fins and they hung right next to me and I'm a very strong kicker..Go figure!

I love 'em both. Just my opinion.

I'm a fairly new diver in SP Jetfins. My instructor keeps stating splits are the way to go. More efficient. But so far I have no problems with the Jets. I dove them in Cayman on the reefs and walls and had no problem "keeping up" with other divers. Not that I'm in a race anyway. I'm really used to the "firm" feel of them, great control, although I've got a lot to learn yet. I'm going to order spring straps for them, as I have already come close to losing one. What's the hype with the splits?

DennisW:
I think jet fins are best for all diving. I've tried a couple other types of fins including some split fins. Don't like any of the other fins. With my jets, I can swim fast with out even trying and slow is even better. And, you can hardly wear them out. Although I did see a pair that finally wore out. They were at least 25 years old.
I've tried everything. IMO the Jets worked the best. I now own two pair, x-large for the drysuit, and large for the wet suits.

Recently, I went back to my backups (I was in the middle putting spring straps on the larges) and there was a current (Spiegel Grove). Oh man was that an eye opener. How did I do without the Jets in the past?

No competition other than the Turtles.

I've tried a few different sets of fins. Owned the Volo's, they're now permanently parked. I went with turtles, as the Jets didn't have a size that would fit me. Love them though. Will never go back to these new fancy fins. The old school stuff works amazingly well.

There's something to be said about 'retro' also. They just plain look cool.

I have black Scubapro twin Jet Split Fins. My instrustor recommended splits as apparently you can get more speed in them (though he said you wouldn't notice unless you'd been diving in normal fins for a long time, then changed to fins). He's actually got a pair of the same fins and swears by them.

I have to say, I LOVE them! I normally do flutter kick anyway, as I have a knee problem find it easier than frog kick. Though I have tried frog-kicking with them and they worked just fine. My sister also has the same fins and frog kicks in them no problem. I've also dived in currents with them and had no problem then either.

I went to the Red Sea (Eygpt) at the end of November last year, and noticed that I only had to kick occasionally whilst everyone else, in their normal fins, were really going for it. Actually made me and my sister feel quite lazy - we were just cruising by while everyone else had to work to keep up! Only problem I've found with them is that sometimes I can move TOO fast!

Can't remember what they're made from, but I've had them for nearly a year now and they haven't got one single scratch on them yet. They were even attacked by an enormous spider crab last week (no joke!!) and there's not a mark on them! Straps and buckles are still going strong too. Wouldn't change my fins for anything. Love 'em. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom