Jet Fins are good...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
There's something to be said about 'retro' also. They just plain look cool.

Too true!

WaterDawg:
True, but these actually suck. They are split fins and therefore designed only to flutter kick and dont have the push of real jet fins. Not to mention they are alot more expensive.

WaterDawg, you (obviously) have spent little time in Twin Speeds. I would even suggest you haven't used them at all? I spent 30+ years in Jet fins and decided to give splits a try. I grew up cave diving and knew the value of precise finning. I agree that the Apollo fins are too soft to have much precision (I spent enough time in these to really try them out). But the twin speeds are a different fin altogether! They are very stiff and have a wonderful angle of attack. I do, for the most part, only frog kick. I have had many a paddle fin wearer try to lose me to prove splits can't frog kick. They not only do not lose me, I often pass them. I can also back up as well as they can. As for current-In PNG I was diving in a "ripping" current with a divemaster. We broke off the mooring line at the same time heading for the edge of the reef. Once over the edge, there was no current. I not only beat the divemaster over the edge, I wasn't breathing as hard!

Spend time to learn how to use them before you condemn the twin speeds!

Allison, you're the first person I've ever heard say they could outperform jet fins in splits... When I tried them I couldn't do anything other than a flutter worth a damn. I switched back after about ten minutes with them, and never looked back.

Allison Finch:
WaterDawg, you (obviously) have spent little time in Twin Speeds. I would even suggest you haven't used them at all? I spent 30+ years in Jet fins and decided to give splits a try. I grew up cave diving and knew the value of precise finning. I agree that the Apollo fins are too soft to have much precision (I spent enough time in these to really try them out). But the twin speeds are a different fin altogether! They are very stiff and have a wonderful angle of attack. I do, for the most part, only frog kick. I have had many a paddle fin wearer try to lose me to prove splits can't frog kick. They not only do not lose me, I often pass them. I can also back up as well as they can. As for current-In PNG I was diving in a "ripping" current with a divemaster. We broke off the mooring line at the same time heading for the edge of the reef. Once over the edge, there was no current. I not only beat the divemaster over the edge, I wasn't breathing as hard!

Spend time to learn how to use them before you condemn the twin speeds!

I think "Waterdawg" was refering to Twin JETS and not Twin SPEEDS. Anyway since you like the The Twin Speeds so much I was curious if you have tried the Atomic Splits, I understand they are similar in feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom