Jet Fins, Mares Quatros, or other Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stretch the springs and keep the fins. They shouldn't be tight just snug enough to keep them on. If they feel any different than what they did with straps then they are too tight.

If you must buy new fins I would vote for Jets..love 'em. If you don't have the legs for a good paddle then go splits. Personally I can't stand them.

No one here can tell you what you'll like, but as someone who can't keep a new fin for ten minutes without changing the "crap straps" over to springs, I'll add my voice to the existing recommendations that you try a larger (or stretched) spring. It sounds like yours is too tight... it shouldn't be causing your ankle any unpleasant sensation.

That aside, try out different fins and see what you like. The Jets, Quattros, and various splits all have been strongly advocated here, but only rarely by the same people. Personally, I like my Jets, love my Quattros, and haven't liked any of the splits I've tried much, but I like spring straps too, so take that for what it's worth.

I love my spring straps. My husband loves his spring straps. The friends we have told about them love their spring straps. Heck, our LDS now CARRIES spring straps because of me and Peter! I also think they must have been too small. In addition, you can get spring straps with a rubber overlay that distributes the pressure more evenly across the Achilles tendon.

But that wasn't your question. I have used three kinds of fins: Razors, TwinJets and Jets. I personally like my Jets, but they are more work than the Twins and I get arch cramps with them that I never got before. The Jets make the frog kick easy and efficient, but don't feel nearly as good when flutter kicking. The Twins were much less effort for flutter kicking. But I can't imagine a circumstance where I would want to use them again, unless I lost my Jets and otherwise couldn't dive :)

I loved my OLD Jet Fins, but they are VERY heavy. My feet were always sinking. My Mares Quatro's are neutraly bouyant, but not are not even in the same catagory when it comes to manuvering around reefs, wrecks, etc. They both seem to have plenty of power when you need the muscle in currents or to catch up to buddy who hasn't noticed you've stopped to look at something.

Back
Top Bottom