Jimmy Hoffa must be alive and well in Cozumel?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you booked your trip with an LDS, the ground transfers are likely included. Most LDS's book trips through tour operators and since you're flying out of DFW, that would be Funjet or Adventure Tours. So when you book a trip through one of the operators, they generally include transfers to/from the airport and the hotel. You should have gotten all this info with your itinerary and if not, then I would check with the LDS to make sure before making other transportation arrangements. It seems that, like most LDS's, this one you're using doesn't quite have their act together. Just another argument for booking your own trips in the future! ha ha

In answer to your question though, the vans at the airport charge according to which zone your hotel is in. The one-way cost from the airport to the Reef Club will probably run about $10 and the taxi back will likely be at least twice that. Someone else who has returned recently might be able to give exact rates....So yes, it is cheaper (if transfers aren't already included in yoru trip cost) to make your own arrangments instead of paying the $50 some operators charge for the "transfers option". Geez if they don't get you one way, they'll get you another! :)

Yeah, my trip next month includes ground transfers, but in case I want to go back to Coz - I want to know the options. From what you've told me here, I think it'd be cheaper to not prepay - just handle it on the spot. :$$:

Not surprised that the tour operator is trying to make a significant profit on ground tranfers, too. Jeez!

don

I booked air only for my Thanksgiving trip, so I will be arranging my own transfers, or hoping a friend can come get me! If I have to use the van/taxi option, I will report on that experience including prices when I get back, so you, and any others who are curious, will know for future reference! :)

dandydon once bubbled...
Most Coz excursions include Rt Ground Transfers, but some give this as a $49 option. :$$:

If for this or other reasons, I have to pay for a van ride from the airport to the south side of town, and a taxi ride back to the airport, anyone know what this usually runs...? :$:

thanks, don

I just got back last Saturday. It was $8.00 per person to Brisas inbound, and we got a van taxi for eight of us to the airport for $45.00 plus tip.

I paid too much again. I'll learn!! :grouchy:

don

abnjm once bubbled...

I just got back last Saturday. It was $8.00 per person to Brisas inbound, and we got a van taxi for eight of us to the airport for $45.00 plus tip.

I guess the prices have gone up; when I was there in May, it was $6.50 to Lorena (now Caribe Blu), which is in the same zone as Brisas (now Magic Sunset?) but farther south.

ggunn once bubbled...

I guess the prices have gone up; when I was there in May, it was $6.50 to Lorena (now Caribe Blu), which is in the same zone as Brisas (now Magic Sunset?) but farther south.

Have they changed names again?

Here is how I look at the taxi/shuttle thing. I try to make sure that as much of the money I am spending gets to the people on the island. If you have ever gone inland very far, its quite clear that they are not well to do and every little buck helps.

Seven of us went way inland and ate with the locals. Its easy to tell because very little English was spoken. We each ordered a juarache (sp?) for $1 each. They were so large, that only 2 asked for seconds...so our total bill for dinner as $9 -- and it was better than most of the food you get at the restaurants around the square severing the touristas. We gave the lady a $20 and told her to keep the change. She was so grateful, thanking us over and over. I bet there weren't many places in town where 7 people could have had dinner for twice or even three times that price and we felt good that we were helping those less fortunate.

Otter once bubbled...

Have they changed names again?

Here is how I look at the taxi/shuttle thing. I try to make sure that as much of the money I am spending gets to the people on the island. If you have ever gone inland very far, its quite clear that they are not well to do and every little buck helps.

Yo tam bien. However, I don't see how it relates to taxis and shuttles. The shuttles are run by the taxi union, so the money goes to the cabbies either way. Also, unless you want to hoof it with all your equipje the 100 yards or so out to the street, you really have no choice; a cab driver won't pick up a fare on the airport grounds.

It's hard to take a thread about the expense of anything in Cozumel seriously.

"It's hard to take a thread about the expense of anything in Cozumel seriously."

And why is that?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom