Jon Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can make one out of a 5-7' plain, simple dog leash, the kind with 1/2" flat webbing, a handle loop on one end, and a bolt snap or suicide clip on the other end. You can pass the clip end through the handle which snugs up on the anchor line, and depending on your school of thought, either clip the other end to you or hold on to it.

I always carry a reel on deco dives. I just loop the line around the upline and use that. 1 less thing to carry if you ask me.

teknitroxdiver:
You can make one out of a 5-7' plain, simple dog leash, the kind with 1/2" flat webbing, a handle loop on one end, and a bolt snap or suicide clip on the other end. You can pass the clip end through the handle which snugs up on the anchor line, and depending on your school of thought, either clip the other end to you or hold on to it.

Neat idea and may have other practical uses :05: such as clipping it to your buddy and taking a stroll over the reef! :D

I've carried a sissy line on most every dive for 35 years... about five feet long, made of poly, with a bolt snap on one end and a suicide snap on the other. I use it as a Jon line, a buddy line, a lift line, a fish stringer, a line to clip off gear, etc, etc, etc... a very nifty thing to have as a basic piece of dive gear.
The "stowing band" is a piece of innertube so the line can be deployed in a hurry if needed. The loops are of the "chinese finger trap" make, so they are secure in normal use but can be released with a simple pull in the right place.
Rick

Excellent. Thanks for weighing in on this, everyone. I've ordered one, and I'm glad. I may never use it, but I'll roll it up and keep it in the same pocket as my signal mirror and other safety equipment. I'd like to go back and dive the Duane and the Spiegel-Grove again, and I may get deeper into wreck diving, so I'm sure it will come in handy. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom