DPV whilst lining out. And general config for advanced CCR dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Ouroboros

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Wondering how folks use a DPV whilst lining out on a wreck? and their config?
Just bought a replacement scooter for one I sold a few years ago so have a couple of questions,

I used to have a DPV before I had a NERD2 so do people suffer with any interference from the DPV with regard compass? (If not this will be excellent)

Also I’m trying to methodically work out how the true config should be, I’m a bailout stacker so go all left and then use a leash for more than 2 BO, I’m understanding the cable light head goes left hand with scooter control for right hand, this seems logical but I’m interested to hear from people that also line out using a wreck / pathfinder reel on wrecks, I’d rather start out on a proven method than just juggling things,

Thanks in advance.

It would depend how far / long of a line you're running but I scooter with my right hand. Reel and primary light is in my left hand. A thumb loop on your primary light can be really helpful when scootering.

I would think a NERD compass will probably be very helpful. For the longest time I used a Sea Rover kayak compass bungeed to my DPV. I try to carefully position it away from motor to keep interference down. The magnetic deviation is minimal and accurate enough for my needs, at least for me. I was/am able to navigate to several wrecks by compass alone although some of that is pure luck.

Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.
IMG_20211007_155245882_resize.jpg

I have also experimented with a product called Mumetal Magnetic Shielding inside the tube of the scooter That also helps a lot if you are getting interference. There was a thread about this one here by the Genesis DPV manufacturer if I recall.

I also have a few friends who use a Perdix mounted to their scooter. It's kind of an expensive compass for that purpose but I like being able to lock in a heading. I used it on a few dives last fall and it worked very well for me.
IMG_20231119_145105361.jpg

IMG_20231127_154745508.jpg

It would depend how far / long of a line you're running but I scooter with my right hand. Reel and primary light is in my left hand. A thumb loop on your primary light can be really helpful when scootering.

I would think a NERD compass will probably be very helpful. For the longest time I used a Sea Rover kayak compass bungeed to my DPV. I try to carefully position it away from motor to keep interference down. The magnetic deviation is minimal and accurate enough for my needs, at least for me. I was/am able to navigate to several wrecks by compass alone although some of that is pure luck.

Not the greatest picture but you get the idea. View attachment 836870

I have also experimented with a product called Mumetal Magnetic Shielding inside the tube of the scooter That also helps a lot if you are getting interference. There was a thread about this one here by the Genesis DPV manufacturer if I recall.

I also have a few friends who use a Perdix mounted to their scooter. It's kind of an expensive compass for that purpose but I like being able to lock in a heading. I used it on a few dives last fall and it worked very well for me.
View attachment 836872

View attachment 836874

Excellent!, as it happens I do have a perdix that I use when doing OC stuff with the wife so I could use the perdix mounted on the dpv, but if the nerd2 works I imagine it could be very nice.

Right hand = scooter
Left hand = reel and light
Compass mounted on the scooter. Buddy runs duplicate compass (side-by-side) to help negate inevitable errors. If you need to juggle slip the goodman of the light onto your right hand thumb.

Electricity and magnets inherently conflict. Moving the compass up to the handle helps, or alternatively using mumetal (magnetic shielding) to disrupt the magnetic field of the batteries for compasses mounted on the tube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom