Jonathan Bird panics while diving for sea lion video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the people who do not realize, I think the OP is referring to the mask on his forehead which some people like to interpret as a sign of distress.
You must be great at parties....

I'm still not seeing any panic, but I understand if there was. I used to love interacting with sea lions until I was attacked by a bull. When I see one now I keep a close watch, ready to defend myself just in case.

I think this is a joke. He pushed his mask up on his forehead. Thereby, according to some, he must be a panicing diver.

Cute

This thread should have been posted in the humor section for better clarification and less ambiguity.

Not that there's anything funny about a panicking diver.

If he was wearing a Zoop he'd already be in deco

I was in distress just like him all the time when I was a kid snorkeling. :eek::eyebrow:

I wish I had waited for this thread to develop before viewing the portions of the panic diver video cited by the op. After viewing it once, I kept thinking "what the hell are they talking about or seeing that I am missing?" Ha Ha. I guess my humor meter got overloaded by too much turkey, dressing, and pie over the past couple of days.

This thread should have been posted in the humor section for better clarification and less ambiguity.

Not that there's anything funny about a panicking diver.

While I am sure all of us agree with you that a panicked diver is not a joke and is quite serious, I disagree that it should be in the humor section as the thread makes a very valid point.. Since you are new here and I am guessing an new diver as well (welcome by the way) it may take a little explaining. There is a pervasive myth around the scuba community that having a mask on your forehead is somehow a sign of distress. Many instructors, esp new ones, go way overboard believing this myth. There is a recent thread of a member being yelled at for having his mask on his forehead by an "instructor" and it's not the first. While a distressed diver may in fact put their mask on their forehead, it is also a very common thing that was done by early divers and still done by many of us, esp when we are diving old school. The bottom line is, a mask on the forehead (aka MOF) is no more a sign of distress than simply being on the surface. Threads like this help dispel the myth and will hopefully help prevent some overly excitable instructor from swimming up to me yelling and trying to "save" me as I have a discussion with my buddy.

While I am sure all of us agree with you that a panicked diver is not a joke and is quite serious, I disagree that it should be in the humor section as the thread makes a very valid point.. Since you are new here and I am guessing an new diver as well (welcome by the way) it may take a little explaining

I'm not a new diver and I get that the MOF concept is outdated and some instructors go overboard trying to enforce it. My post was all about diver panic which has nothing to do with a mask on forehead. Placing a mask on forehead is not something a panicked diver would do if anything they'd remove it along with other gear and just toss it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom