Jr. Padi Scuba Certification to Open Water Padi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here and I was wondering how to go about the best way to change my Jr. Padi Scuba Certification into a full Open Water certification? That way I won't have to hide that it is only a Jr. cert when I take another trip. I received the jr cert aboard a cruise ship and have went a couple other times, probably about 10 dives total. Is there a partial class that padi offers? Hopefully online...

Thank you and im excited to be on here!

TJ

Well, I tried looking it up on Padis website myself before posting this and they always take me to the course page and I have no idea where to go from there (like which one I would have to take). And the dive shop i worked through was aboard a cruise ship or I would call them/go back.

Copied and pasted from the link Scott posted:

"Need to upgrade your PADI Junior Diver certification?
You can order a new card online as long as you meet the minimum age requirement of 15-years or older, which means you’ll no longer have age-related restrictions while scuba diving. When you choose your junior certification to be replaced, the system will automatically produce the upgraded card should you meet the minimum age requirement. View the Scuba Certifications for Children and Teenagers page on padi.com for information on PADI Junior Diver certifications or contact your local PADI Dive Center or Resort."

The "order a new card online" is a link. If you click it, a new tab opens with the following address bar: https://www.padimembers.com/sforms/rcol2/

Assuming you are at least 15 years old, just follow the instructions on that page.

Copied and pasted from the link Scott posted:

"Need to upgrade your PADI Junior Diver certification?
You can order a new card online as long as you meet the minimum age requirement of 15-years or older, which means you’ll no longer have age-related restrictions while scuba diving. When you choose your junior certification to be replaced, the system will automatically produce the upgraded card should you meet the minimum age requirement. View the Scuba Certifications for Children and Teenagers page on padi.com for information on PADI Junior Diver certifications or contact your local PADI Dive Center or Resort."

The "order a new card online" is a link. If you click it, a new tab opens with the following address bar: https://www.padimembers.com/sforms/rcol2/

Assuming you are at least 15 years old, just follow the instructions on that page.

I imagine this will just upgrade him from a JR SCUBA Certification to a SCUBA certification. In order to upgrade from a JR SCUBA Certification to a OW Cert, you will likely, at a minimum to be able to demonstrate all the skills needed for the OW and take the OW exam. I'll say right now that I don't know the course requirements of the SCUBA, but I guessing there is not as much theory required or the as much of an ability to perform "self rescue" skills. I might be entirely wrong on this. I'd say, call your local shop and ask them what you need to do in order for them to sign off. I imagine it will cost about the same as referral check out dives do.

I imagine this will just upgrade him from a JR SCUBA Certification to a SCUBA certification. In order to upgrade from a JR SCUBA Certification to a OW Cert, you will likely, at a minimum to be able to demonstrate all the skills needed for the OW and take the OW exam. I'll say right now that I don't know the course requirements of the SCUBA, but I guessing there is not as much theory required or the as much of an ability to perform "self rescue" skills. I might be entirely wrong on this. I'd say, call your local shop and ask them what you need to do in order for them to sign off. I imagine it will cost about the same as referral check out dives do.

No real need to upgrade or change the card..when person becomes of age the card is recognized as a full OW card. To earn a jr ow card,the student has the same requirements as an adult ow card,but with age related restrictions.If you really want a different card then why not just a continue education class? If you earned a jr ow card some time ago why not take advance course,after all you are still diving and it would be a good to to take a class.

The difference between Scuba diver and Water diver is more class time (sections 4 & 5), pool time (CW 4 & 5) and more open water dives (#3 & #4) for PADI certification. Simple to upgrade, should only take a day or a little more.

The difference between Scuba diver and Water diver is more class time (sections 4 & 5), pool time (CW 4 & 5) and more open water dives (#3 & #4) for PADI certification. Simple to upgrade, should only take a day or a little more.

Thank you... that is what I remembered from taking the class aboard a cruise ship over 8 years ago. I have already contacted my local shop but they are about an hour away and am still waiting a response.

Thank you,

TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ......No need for name calling, it won't earn you points, I don't think smurf doc quite understood what you were asking. What evart posted is correct, just a simple thank you and leave it at that. People here are just trying to help out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom