Judge rules-Abandoned diver can sue charter company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
FYI some new developments for the abandoned divers out there....

Abandoned diver can sue LB company - Press-Telegram

Abandoned diver can sue LB company
From wire services
Article Launched: 03/26/2008 02:27:31 PM PDT

A recreational scuba diver abandoned in the ocean off Newport Beach in 2004 can take to trial his $4 million lawsuit against the dive shop that planned the trip, along with the company that owned the boat and its crew, a judge has ruled.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward A. Ferns denied a motion by Sundiver Charters of Long Beach and Venice-based Ocean Adventures Dive Co. to dismiss Daniel E. Carlock Jr.'s case on grounds he assumed the risk of being left in the ocean and that there were therefore no triable issues.

"While (the diving companies have) shown there is a risk inherent in the sport of diving that a diver will become separated from other scuba divers, it has not been shown that there is a risk inherent in the sport ... that divers will forget and abandon their co-participants in the ocean ...," Ferns wrote.

The judge took the dismissal motion under submission March 4 and issued his five-page ruling last Thursday.

Carlock's lawyer, Scott P. Koepke, hailed the decision, saying it will benefit the hundreds of thousands of divers in California who could potentially find themselves in the same position as his client.

"The risk of scuba diving does not include being left unaccounted for ... and left floating on your own," Koepke said.

Jeffrey C. Stodel, an attorney for Ocean Adventures, said he had not seen the ruling and could not immediately comment.

Attorney Matthew W. Monroe, for Sundiver Charters, could not immediately be reached.

The trial, scheduled for June 9, will deal with the allegations of negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress in Carlock's suit, which he filed in January 2005.

Carlock's story grabbed international attention. Then 45, he was left in the ocean amid foggy conditions roughly seven miles off Newport Beach the morning of April 25, 2004, after getting separated from about 20 other divers who had been aboard the motor vessel Sundiver, owned by Sun Diver Charters.

When Carlock realized he was no longer with his "dive buddy," he says he swam to the surface and made many attempts to be noticed, including using his whistle and waving a yellow inflatable tube. But the Ocean Adventures staff, and the captain and crew of the Sundiver, "failed to maintain a proper lookout and notice Carlock in the water," his suit alleges.

Sundiver Capt. Ray Leslie Arntz, and Zacarias Reyes Araneta and dive buddy Andy Huber, who were also with the dive shop, failed to account for all divers before leaving for a second dive site, the lawsuit alleges.

At the second location, the boat staff noticed Carlock was gone, but called the U.S. Coast Guard to the second dive site to look for him, not the first site, where he had been abandoned, his suit states.

For nearly four hours, Carlock floated, prayed, took pictures of himself and kept a log of what was happening with a waterproof pencil and slate attached to his wetsuit.

He says he expected to die, but eventually was rescued by those aboard the tall ship Argus, which was carrying an adult supervising crew, young Sea Scouts and Boy Scouts.

He was treated for hypothermia, and the Coast Guard was radioed to retrieve him. Carlock says he was also badly sunburned from being in the ocean for hours and developed skin cancer. He had the cancerous lesions removed but continues to suffer physical and emotional trauma, according to his lawsuit.

This should be real interesting.

im sorry... but i found this funny (obviously because we know the diver was found & safe)

"....he expected to die, but eventually was rescued by those aboard the tall ship Argus, which was carrying an adult supervising crew, young Sea Scouts and Boy Scouts...."

saved by the Boy Scouts!!!! now that deserves a badge!

I'v been on that boat. Hmmm

I've made over 100 dives on the Sundiver and can tell you that for at least for the last 2 1/2 years since I've been diving on it, it has always been very safe. I can't comment on this incident, and I'm sure neither can they until the litigation is done, but I have no reservations at all about diving with them.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward A. Ferns denied a motion by Sundiver Charters of Long Beach and Venice-based Ocean Adventures Dive Co. to dismiss Daniel E. Carlock Jr.'s case on grounds he assumed the risk of being left in the ocean and that there were therefore no triable issues.

holy crap..... I can't believe a dive company would say something SO STUPID. None the less act that way towards a customer.

I hope he sues their ass off!!

holy crap..... I can't believe a dive company would say something SO STUPID. None the less act that way towards a customer.

I hope he sues their ass off!!

Because everything you read in the news is accurate?

I've made over 100 dives on the Sundiver and can tell you that for at least for the last 2 1/2 years since I've been diving on it, it has always been very safe. I can't comment on this incident, and I'm sure neither can they until the litigation is done, but I have no reservations at all about diving with them.

do you sign a waiver before you get on the boat??

me thinks its being re-written right now.. on the grounds that you should assume you will be left out in the ocean (insert stiring smilie here)

Not that being left alone in the ocean is ok, but the guy was only out there for four hours, not four days. Don't get me wrong, I would be plenty pissed off, scared,etc., but I can't say that I would sue all of these people. He claims skin cancer from THESE four hours of exposure, give me a break! California is the "sue capital" of the U.S.A. No wonder businesses can't afford insurance, workers compensation and the like. I hope all he gets is a free dive weekend out of this, and that it helps the dive industry to improve their safety standards so that things like this do not happen to other divers.

do you sign a waiver before you get on the boat??

me thinks its being re-written right now.. on the grounds that you should assume you will be left out in the ocean (insert stiring smilie here)

You sign all kinds of waivers but in California you can't assign away your rights, so they are more a tool to acknowledge that you understand risk. And I am sure some things changed after the incident. But now there is a roll call before you leave the dock, after every dive (verbal reply and face to face sighting with crewmember), and before leaving to return to port. A couple times I had to poke my face out of the the head because my muffled "Here!" from in there wasn't good enough. I doubt anything like that would happen again.

Back
Top Bottom