Judge rules-Abandoned diver can sue charter company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Divemaster, Zack Araneta made an incredible blunder by counting him aboard after the dive. I don't recall if someone actually answered for him or not, but as a DM, you need to actually see the person before you count them. After the incorrect roll call, he told the Captain that all were accounted for.

They then headed for the next site, the wreck of the Ace One. Somehow Zack compounded his earlier error by counting Dan in the water here. Maybe he saw that Dan and his gear were not onboard and assumed he missed him getting in the water. It wasn't until the final roll call that he was finally noticed as missing and the Coast Guard was called...

This seems to be the major SNAFU. And according to the newspaper article on this, the USCG was conducting their search in the location of the 2nd dive site, not the first one, based on what the D/M told them.

It turned out to be SNAFU upon SNAFU.

It was the Boy Scout boat that saved the day.

DB, there is always the exception and your boat is run more like a resort boat than those docked on the mainland.... Yours is an open boat with a nice configuration and that can't be said for all the SC boats!

After omitting the atrocious punctuation you seem to insert into every post I finally understood what you are attempting to convey and you are wrong.

*DISCLAIMER* Papa Bear's views(and bad punctuation) of so-cal boat safety protocol are in no way typical of so-cal boat protocol. There are tank/gear counts on the boats and failsafe systems, at least on the 10+ dive boats that I've been on. I guess that doesn't say much for PB's boat standards. Please PB tell us what boats you go on so the rest of us locals know which ones to avoid.

Billy

After omitting the atrocious punctuation you seem to insert into every post I finally understood what you are attempting to convey and you are wrong.

*DISCLAIMER* Papa Bear's views(and bad punctuation) of so-cal boat safety protocol are in no way typical of so-cal boat protocol. There are tank/gear counts on the boats and failsafe systems, at least on the 10+ dive boats that I've been on. I guess that doesn't say much for PB's boat standards. Please PB tell us what boats you go on so the rest of us locals know which ones to avoid.

Billy
I am curious what dive boats you would get on since your profile states you are not certified. I have been diving for over 25 years and been on many dive boats and not one didn't require you to be certified to join a charter. So if that is the case then I would be more concerned about those boats.

I am curious what dive boats you would get on since your profile states you are not certified. I have been diving for over 25 years and been on many dive boats and not one didn't require you to be certified to join a charter. So if that is the case then I would be more concerned about those boats.

Yes, you got me, I'm an active member of the dive community that has never gone through a cert class. I knew eventually some cunning individual would blow my cover!

Billy

Why is that? Certification is no indication that you know how to dive and lack thereof is no indication that you do not know how to dive. Intelligent boat owners know that.

He probably never answer the question in his profile and just left it at Not Certified.

Back
Top Bottom