Juggling computer and inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH:
I almost always ascend and descend horizontally, with the exception of the last 10 or 15 ft on ascent. I need to know that there is no boat or anything else to run into when I ascend those last few feet.

~Jess

The subject of looking for overhead obstructions comes up a lot when we discuss the relative merits of horizontal vs vertical.

With practice, you can look above you from a horizontal position by looking up to the front, side and back by looking over your shoulders. In the mean time, do what you think best...no sense getting wacked in the head.

Viper's breath while I am laying on my back :) can still do Horizontal HA HA

GA Under Water:
Viper's breath while I am laying on my back :) can still do Horizontal HA HA
I have actually done that a few times myself :) perfectly horizontal ascent, looking straight up at the surface.

In clear water I buy the looking over the shoulder, but when doing an ascent in the lake where the vis might be 3ft or less I am much more comfortable looking up constantly than occasionaly glancing. This is of course only when near the surface.

~Jess

Something else to consider on the horizontal ascent thing. There is no law that says you have to stay in the same vertical water column.

You can move forward and look up as you ascend in the horizontal position.

Another consideration is that that nice metal tank on your back is a lot better for bumping up against something hard if you don't see it, than your hand/head are. Granted, it's close, but if you're horizontal and you're performing a controled ascent it will hit first and you'll be able to act appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom