July-October St Croix dive buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuller43

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There is a possibility (interview tomorrow) that I may be spending July-October of this year staying in Christiansted, on St Croix. I fully intend to do a number of boat dives, but I always love meeting some local divers and doing shore dives, whenever possible. I would be more than willing to help with gas or anything like that, as I understand (perhaps incorrectly?) that most shore dives are on the other side of the island. Again, this is currently preliminary, and updates will come as I receive them, but any locals interested in taking on a new dive buddy? (I am rescue certified, so you could consider it a safety precaution, maybe...? :wink: )

A great place to meet local divers is by hanging around any of the local dive shops. Interestingly enough all 6 are conveniently located right next to bars (Deck Bar in Christiansted in our case) and a lot of dive staff can be found there at the end of the day. They know a LOT of local divers and will willingly hook you up. There's also a very active dive club (Caribbean Reef Association of Bubble BlowerS CRABBS www.crabbsvi.com ) and the CORE (Caribbean Ocean Restoration and Education Foundation www.nolionfish.com does monthly (or more) group Lionfish hunts like the one this Saturday on our northshore boat. There is a lot of fantastic diving here and a lot of friendly local divers to show it to you........along with the dive boats of course.

Arguably best shore dive is Davis Beach at Carambola, the wall is a short swim straight out. Beach is public access but "go for lunch" so you can park at the hotel and bribe a bell hop to haul your gear to the beach on the golf cart. Cane bay is supposed to be good too but I haven't done a shore dive their myself.

Message me. I am always looking for a shore dive buddy on St Croix. I should be back on the island during that time frame. Cane Bay, Carambola and the Pier are great and easy shore dives.

I like Carambola a bit better than Cane Bay - you don't have to walk across the street to get new tanks, no horses occasionally pooping in the shallows, etc. Sweet Bottom Dive Center will haul your gear down to the far end of the beach and ferry tanks back and forth for you as well. If the surf is up you can still do Carambola but do NOT dawdle, a friend of mine got to taste a lot of sand 2 weeks ago because he tried to 'catch his breath' in knee deep water in big swells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom