Jupiter & Key Largo New Year's Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
New Years Weekend Saturday, jumped on the Jupiter Dive Center Republic IV boat with Capt Mike and brand new DM Taylor. Quick 2 tanker before heading to the keys to splash the Speigel Grove with Kidsdream and Chuckitall. Jupiter weather was flat & nice.

IMG_6669.jpg

1st drop was Area 51 backside. No bugs and the dinner plates were too small to shoot. 74 degrees, 1.5 knots of current and a hazy 50ft of viz.

2nd tank was the Bluffs. Right after I jump in I feel something bumping my leg. As I look behind I see both of my orange fish elevators have completely un- rolled and I looked like a hogfish with streamers.

Re-stuff the tanks and git on the road. Same distance from Jupiter at 2 hours whether turning right back to Orlando or to the left towards Key Largo. Met up with KidsDream and Chuckitall. Woke up the next morning to some blustery 25 mph winds but they had just the right amount of angle off the land that the seas were doable. Unfortunately many people canceled (we don't cancel!!) so the boat was wide open with plenty of room on the big 46 foot Conch Republic Newton.

Capt Gary and Admiral Brenda always take good care of the D2D's and they have a great shop right next to the inlet

IMG_6676.jpg

1st drop was the wreck of the Eagle. 105 to the sand. Viz was tough at 30 feet with tons of backscatter. Chuckitall found 2 friendly sharks and a big Goliath on the rear end of the wreck. 74 degrees and almost no current on a full moon night.

Only 2 picts from the wreck cause you just can't shoot wide angle in soup.

Trumpet fish swimming around a flora

IMG_3081.jpg

and then the fish promptly turned upside down and started swimming upside down. Took a picture and I left promptly before having a finger pointed at me, cause you know what fish swimming upside down are...

IMG_3086.jpg

2nd drop was a shallow 25 foot reef with great 60 foot of viz. Now I could practice a little more on some camera work. Really colorful and diverse reef with fish some structure and plenty of flora. Here's a card dump of a bunch of shots.

Red grouper hiding from a spearo behind a plant

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

Had a nice small turtle swim by for some easy shots

IMG_3123.jpg

Anchor mooring shot

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

New Year's Eve weather was 4-6 waves in the Key's but yaa gotta suck it up if you love to dive. 15 divers on board the Conch Republic Newton. Hit Davis Conch reef for the 1st drop. 25 foot with a shovel. 74 degrees and about 40ft of viz, but had a 4 foot back and forth surge which made it real interesting to take photo's. Today's photo practice was to push the F-Stop as high as I could while playing with the shutter speed and touching the ISO between 100 & 200. I'm trying to figure out how the different settings let me sharp focus the far off background while still keeping the bright deep blues . More photos randomly popped.................

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

Spotted Drum

IMG_3258.jpg

Rare-To-Me Yellow Trumpet fish

IMG_3292.jpg

Alpha Hog in a surge sand storm

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

This is a budda memorial with a granite marker. Hasn't been cleaned so couldn't read it

IMG_3389.jpg

Who say's you can't train divers??????

IMG_3325.jpg

Nice Green EEL

IMG_3358.jpg

New Year's Day we were up at 7am hoping to dive the Spegiel Grove, but the weather front did not weaken as we expected and the high pressure system wouldn't drop. Just the way it happens sometimes.

Big Thanks to Kidsdream for the hospitality as well aslConch Republic Divers for the dives and all the other Divers that I was able to catch up with.

Wishing everyone a very picturesque 2013 of diving !!

IMG_6681.jpg

WOW! Some great photos. You are certainly mastering that camera. Sorry I couldn't make it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom