Just a quick note to say we're ok!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60:
, actually rode hurricane Iwa out in a ship in Hawaii back in the early '80s.

I've been through 7 or 8 typhoons and hurricanes (not to mention being near another 6 or so). I'll NEVER get used to them. It feels great when it's over.

Sharky, I was living in Kilauea, Kaua'i when Iwa hit. The eye passed over our house. weird. The sun comes out and the air is all balmy and heavy....then it gets dark and God switches the fan back onto High.

Hank49:
I've been through 7 or 8 typhoons...

.... God switches the fan back onto High.

Yeah, in the other direction!!!!

it's not something I'd wish on anyone, but unfortunatly, it's part of island life. Glad to see your still with us after as many as you've been through.

OWSIinAustin:
Glad to hear everything is OK. Christi I'll try to find you another battery for your notebook! :)

I was talking with my wife who has been in Cozumel at our house all summer. At 7:30 I heard a big yell. The power came back up and that means it's AC time.

Our house is back on 70th between ARS and 1st. We're about a half a mile back directly from the square. We were lucky in that we only had an aluminum door partially sucked off the hinges on the second floor balcony of our house. Not to let a hurricane win my wife tore the door off the remaining hinge and chocked it with some boards.

She and her mother had been downtown earlier today and reported as others that there were a lot of trees uprooted and a lot of powerlines still down.

Chedaruri had lost one big plate glass window but they had electricity. The internet cafe right beside it also had power but their internet and phones were still down. She was able to charge her cell phone.

Although we had about 200 gallons of fresh water on the roof tank she had been very conservative. She was getting tired of eating bananas, grapes and little Spam animals.
They feasted on fried chicken, mashed potatos, and macoroni from the store.

And besides saying everything was fine she said don't forget the pickle relish. It's tough to make good tuna fish without it.

I guess I'll have a little clean up to do if I can still fly in at the end of next week.

I'm so thrilled to hear how well you've weathered the storm.
AND the island too!!!

Christi,

Thanks for all your many updates and the great information prior, during and post Emily.

I am very glad that you and your staff, your home, dive shop, your new truck and Shamu all came through the hurricane so well. And of course that all your animals are fine too!

I know that many people, including us were praying for you and for Cozumel to be spared. I am so thankful those prayers were answered!

Take care and we look forward to seeing you on our next trip!

AZ Divers,

Ruth and Scott

Let there be light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my power back at home as of about 8:30 tonight!!!!!!!!! Still don't have it at the office, but hopefully will by the weekend. One of the main transformers for that area snapped in half and is actually still in the street. I was told that it has to actually be replaced rather than repaired, so it could take some time.

I've got my dial up connection at home, but also have to share that with the phone line, so my internet access will still be very limited until my ISP gets power back.

I can't tell you how awesome it felt to have a REAL shower rather than pouring buckets of water on my head :fruit:
My crew and I went diving again today. We started at Cedral Pass and worked over to the wall and then finished towards the end of Santa Rosa. Visibility was at least 70 feet, which is 1000% better than it was yesterday. Second dive we did Paradise reef. I expected to see the most damage here, and it was no worse for wear.

I am exhausted, looking forward to a good nights sleep finally!

I will be involved in some clean-up efforts tomorrow, so most likely won't be online until later in the day. I promise that I will get through the e-mails and get back to people ASAP!!!

Once again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, etc. etc.

Sweet dreams! :yawn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom