Just a Reminder...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I said in the initial post, Dave and I want to make a night dive before we crack open the brews... So I figure we'll get in two dives on Friday and then have the tanks filled early on Saturday for three or more dives during the day, before the vis goes south.

So plan on well after dark before we start with your well known "patriotic friend" (who is an OLD friend of mine by the way.... :wink: )

Now that we have what looks to be a medium sized group for Friday night, lets all start praying to the weather gods for clear warm weather on 16-17-18 April. :zap1: :zap1: :zap1:

frankenmuth_tom:
...that the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew First Annual Spring Dive, Meet and Greet at Gilboa Quarry is now TWO months away. Mark your Daytimers/PDS's kids!

Dave (Cldwdiver) and I will be there about noon on Friday the 16th to make a dive or two before everyone gets there and screws up the visibility. Actually we are intending a night dive on the 16th and then some really excellent Maple Porter from Black Forest Brewing Company, next to the fire. We'll have my little 5th wheel and will be all set up by the time you folks start coming in. Feel free to join us on Friday for a couple dives if you want.

Those of you who have a 'Winter Diving Pass' from the good folks at Gilboa get to dive for free. Others will be paying the regular daily fee, and everyone will be charged the daily camping fee if you decide to stay.

Lets pray to the weather gods for good sunny weather that April weekend.

Look forward to seeing you all there!
Don and I are going to try to make it down for the day on Saturday. Hate to sound wimpy but what are the usual water temperatures that time of year? I kind of like my water temps to be at least in the 60's. We will bring our 7 mils and give it a try. Hope we have the t shirts by then. They will be great to have next year for the Shipwreck Festival! It was challenging last weekend trying to figure out who might be who!
If we make it down, I'll bring my famous Death By Chocolate dessert! It is definitely not on the Atkins Diet meal plan!I bring it to all our dive club meetings and it goes over well!

lisa4516:
Don and I are going to try to make it down for the day on Saturday. Hate to sound wimpy but what are the usual water temperatures that time of year? I kind of like my water temps to be at least in the 60's. We will bring our 7 mils and give it a try. Hope we have the t shirts by then. They will be great to have next year for the Shipwreck Festival! It was challenging last weekend trying to figure out who might be who!
If we make it down, I'll bring my famous Death By Chocolate dessert! It is definitely not on the Atkins Diet meal plan!I bring it to all our dive club meetings and it goes over well!

Don't count on water temps anywhere near 60.

My understanding is that as of the 21st and 22nd of February the Quarry was iced over. A friend of mine from Michigan talked to Mike this past weekend on the phone and he said that the ice should be clearing soon. He also stated to her that as soon as the ice breaks we could start paying for the Day, $12.00. He also said that the Quarry would be closed next year Jan - Mar. Lessons are always learned the hard way!

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

lisa4516:
I kind of like my water temps to be at least in the 60's. We will bring our 7 mils and give it a try. Hope we have the t shirts by then. They will be great to have next year for the Shipwreck Festival! It was challenging last weekend trying to figure out who might be who!
I can almost promise that the showers will be in the 60+ range....but you won't find that in the quarry.

As for the festival...yeah...there were loads of people there...me being one of them, but in spite of all that, I did get to meet some folks from the boards.

I'm looking forward to the 17th...there's a good chance I might only be able to make it up there that day (no overnight)...we'll see though.

-T

Still looking at being able to come up the 17th and 18th. I'm thinking the dry suit is going to get a chance to become my friend, it's going to be a little cold for my scrawny self to dive wet.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Still looking at being able to come up the 17th and 18th. I'm thinking the dry suit is going to get a chance to become my friend, it's going to be a little cold for my scrawny self to dive wet.

MOST of us will be diving dry, I suspect. I'll have my little 5th wheel trailer there, parked right across from the stairs to the 'farthest' platform with the furnace running if it gets cold. We'll keep you warmed up between dives, as you are welcome to the use of my rig....Plenty of hot drinks and warm fires and all of that...

Look forward to seeing you.

Ber Rabbit:

I get chilly as well. About ninety percent of my OW diving is in a drysuit. At least I know that I will be in good company!

frankenmuth_tom:
We'll keep you warmed up between dives, as you are welcome to the use of my rig....Plenty of hot drinks and warm fires and all of that...
I do believe I might have to take you up on that offer--heat, mmmmmm! I'll have the wetsuit with me just in case that silly dry suit soaks me, it's been known to do that.
Ber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom