Just Back from St Croix on Rorqual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RE: hammerheads - hadn't seen one in my Pacific dives only to see it in St Croix. And it's officially credited to the wife. She pointed it out just as we were beginning the dive. It headed off and we got little time with it.

I'll take the tip on the water in the toilet, RoatanMan. To be clear, the toilet was literally overflowing with the brown sewage. They blotted it up but that room was uninhabitable for the duration and was told it happened in more than one room. Sounds like that wasn't the cause of the musty smell though.

Doc, great photos. Love the batfish!

I'd sure like to see pix of that critter that Mik found under the pier and hid from :crafty: us.

"they really need to find a way to get rid of the funky smell in some of the cabins"

We're bringing Fabrize!
That might work. The ship supplied air freshner but it's like the joke " who farted a Christmas tree". I never said anything but the keeping water in the head thing didn't work either, the head would leak it out. The first time I thought that maybe I had forgotten to do it, that wasn't the case. Anyway, as I told one of the crew, the head smelled better than the room. The smell wasn't coming from the bathroom(IMHO), at the moment I'm blaming it on stale air.

On our 3 Nekton cruises, our cabin always had a hanging "damp rid" thing to remove the moisture from the air. When we did a back-to-back it was new at the beginning of the trip and nearly full by the end of 2 weeks.

I'd sure like to see pix of that critter that Mik found under the pier and hid from :crafty: us.

You talking about the frogfish? What was it... a striated frogfish?

very nice pictures!:D

so how did everyone rate the itinerary? I think many people have not booked the Nekton St.Croix trips due to mixed reviews of the dives. So what did your group think? I'd really like to see a list of the dive sites, max depths, what you saw there, and then a rating of the site. :D I think it would be really helpful for those still sitting on the fence.

...so how did everyone rate the itinerary? I think many people have not booked the Nekton St.Croix trips due to mixed reviews of the dives.

This is, of course, very subjective.

It is highly variable due to past experiences, and also in terms of what you are looking for (and seeing) at the time of dive #______.

When I first read a post stating in a positive way- that "the best dive" was the Frederiksted Pier, I thought- oh boy, that sounds like a nightmare. Wrongo.

Again, our reason for going was that the price of $1100 (total) plus the cheap air to Puerto Rico made this a great test to see if the "No Sea Sick" would be effective on Herself. She did not get queasy.

IMG_5504_2-1.jpg

Frederiksted Pier- was indeed the highlight. The shallow environment with the vertical concrete columns was not in the least bit claustrophobic. It was like gliding thru a forest. Lots of light, plus what was essentially vertical wall pillars in recognizable rows, separated by 20~60 feet. These pillars were about 10' diameter and covered with Sponges, Corals, and critters. Night diving there was great because of the rubble heaps- critters like structure! At night, try to distance yourself from any crowds as it turned into an occasional Search for ET... people tend to cluster. It was a super night dive (you couldn't get lost), and a great off-gassing dive for Friday. They docked in 12fsw, and you could swim out and back. Or, they would run you out in a dory. It wasn't worth the bother~ stay on the first 2/3 of the pier if you want them to drop you off, the rest was deep and barren.

IMG_0455.jpg
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg

Armageddon was a created reef caused by the dumping of the post-hurricane wreckage of the original pier. The pix I have here are from a depth of 50' peering down to 90' bottoms, plus one that I shot at 70' just because I blipped down and shot it. I was on my way back from the shallower portion, which wasn't much but sand patches. Some people liked Armageddon, some of us just blew it off because of it's depth and limited BT.

IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg

"The Wrecks" was nice, bottoms at 70', when we were there they experienced a 1/4mph current which was a real hump. I elected to go with the DM as a guide and I believe I might have been the only guest who saw all four "wrecks". They included an overgrown and intact deep vee hull of 80' length, a huge rectangular barge (the sides had growth), a nice tugboat, and a "sea-lab" like contraption. Only two of us ventured out for a night dive here, we saw all of the typical Caribbean night dive denizens plus were rewarded by a 2.5' slumbering Turtle parked in plain sight under the rudder.

IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0358.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg

"The Trench"- most people dove it deep, we tried that, but had much better results doing it shallow. I say this only because we came back grinning, where others voted to move back to a different, deeper dive site for the night dive... which they then did not go out and dive. I skipped it because it was a 70'+ bottom, not my idea of a night dive. No one night dived that night and it was the only one that I missed :(

I think it was a great value. You get to try the Nekton, and the airfare to Puerto Rico was a bargain. As far as comparing it to this or that other Caribbean destination, it's hard because most of us have very narrow ideas of what diving on any particular island is like- it varies by zone. On a liveabaoard, the theory is that you will see different, better things. I must believe that I have now seen St Croix (I may be wrong).

We will go on the Nekton again, so votes Herself, but we have seen St Croix- at a bargain price- and now we'll look at Mona or the Out Islands of the Bahamas.

Back
Top Bottom