Just found 12 more cannons and 3 new wrecks...we need HELP! That's 35 sites so far!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a tad long in the tooth to be flying down and cooking in the sun with you guys but it sounds like a real trip. As to reefs, it never ceases to amaze me the trivial nature of priorities of most people. Look, due to ocean acidification (30% increase in last 100 years) the oceans will become too sour to support coral building by polyps. In 30 years from now, growth will come to a standstill. In 50 years, most reefs will begin to disappear. In 100 years, all gone. Cause and effect of atmospheric carbon dioxide dissolving in seawater to form carbonic acid, and contributions of other acids like sulfuric and nitric from acid rain. Now, let's review what the dufus crowd is talking about; scratching a reef with an anchor at most. Give me a break.

I say, get all the coins, timber and clay pipes off the bottom that you can. It's mostly junk anyway. I've done it before and I know how much fun it can be, regardless.

I am very intererested in your offer. I have 700 logged dives with 300 of them involving shipwrecks ranging in depth of 30 feet to 140. Please let me know what the cost is and how I go about getting down there!!! Thankyou, Brandon

A reef, as described by the dictionary:

reef 1 |rēf|
noun
a ridge of jagged rock, coral, or sand just above or below the surface of the sea.
• Austral. & S. African a metalliferous mineral deposit, esp. one that is bedded and contains gold.

I guess we have a different definition but the photos on your site, NCR HOME, show you are certainly disturbing the bottom in any case. You can hear the vacuum system working in your video and plumes of sand rising which, should it end up covering nearby coral, will kill it. For an underwater photographer muck diving is diving in areas of sand where we can find many different creatures living. The rocks you show in one of the photos with an item nestled in between, also houses many other animals and I would consider that a reef as well. Old wrecks can and do become coral reefs. You have to admit that using a vacuum system does some damage.

Again, I have never questioned your credentials but coming to a scuba board and posting photos and videos like the ones on your site, you should expect a certain amount of criticism. There is a popular thread here right now debating even touching things underwater, so being indignant about some negative posts is naive.

This kills me. Meanwhile we send dredges up and down the East Coast doing "beach re-nourishment" which is another name for pumping sand back and forth for rich people. THAT does more damage even if there are no nearby reefs.

Are you guys making finds in Haitian waters or just the DR? I have heard people trying to get into Haiti to excavate are being turned down, like the Haitian government will ever have the means to recover the wrecks themselves. Thanks!

Your posting looks interesting. We are a small group of New York and New Jersey divers who are into antique bottle hunting. I assume there are plenty of related sites that fit that bill. Is there a way to come out and work a few of your sites as a premilary venture and then take it from there.

Thanks Ed Pieper 518 859 5594

We have found 35 wreck sites so far from the 16th-18th centuries plus one from 1802 the "Conqueror" AKA "La Viete" or Napoleon's lost payroll ship purported to be holding 10 chests weighing 1,000 lbs each full of gold, silver and copper coins in the first 10 miles and we have 90 more miles of territory to search...the math says 350 possible sites if the numbers hold true.

The fact she holds coins is not as important to us as the fact there is a good chance this vessel was destined to occupy New Orleans in 1802 when President Jefferson said: "If France ever occupies New Orleans, we will have to marry the British Navy and its country." Six months after her loss, Napoleon sold the Louisiana Territory changing history a bit I would venture to guess. What a center-piece for a museum!

We don't really have room on our existing excavations for individual divers unless they pay their own way and then some but would share in the recoveries, but maybe what would work even better is a group that either has a search and salvage vessel and crew and no contract...ie: All dressed up with nowhere to go...or possibly a dive charter biz that is slack in the summer but has their own budget. A marine construction outfit? Or maybe someone or group that wants to get into it but only has the budget and not the vessel and crew or a synergistic relationship. Or?

You could be bringing up cannons and nice stuff your first day here! (FYI: 99% of our wrecks are in shallow water. Only one so far is about 85'. That is why they sank usually, they hit something. So, 35' to 45' is about average. Long bottom times in your skivies...85 degrees and sometimes gin-clear.)

If there is anyone out there interested let me know here.

The govt gets 50% of course and the other 50% we could find an equitable split. We will try to encourage you to display your share in the museum but the choice will be yours. (The return could actually be higher in the museum because why sell something once when people will pay money to look at them for decades & generations to come?)

We can't sub-lease but we can form JV's or Limited Partnerships.

All artifacts will have to be recovered under the strict guidelines of proper archaeology under supervision, which actually adds value to the artifacts.

Ask questions in this thread if you have any so I only have to answer them once unless it is private and then send me a private message. I have limited time on-line...sorry, kinda busy! Up to my eyeballs in artifacts! Yea!

(I can not, of course, promise you will have an ROI since there are so many variables including Acts of God, but if you are serious, contact me and then fly down and check us out on your dime and make your decision then...we are based in Monte Cristi on the northwest coast of the DR closest to the Santiago Int'l Airport...our territory runs from Haiti to Puerto Plata...100 miles of coastline or approx 400 sq miles. Ask for the "Americanos" buscar pora barcas antiguas." They will show you the way to our compound on the beach.)

We also plan to stream live video from the excavations via a personal invite from YAHOO! Live and YouTube etc. with revenue sharing plus our site with Google Ads, kinda like a Reality show, so if you have an ROV(s) with high-quality video surface-feed capabilities, please contact me! A special disposition can be offered. Media representatives are encouraged to reply also.
If not, happy hunting!
Jack L. Rea
YouTube - Rick Menson Faro Oldest Church DR
Hi, What makes you feel you found "1802 the "Conqueror" AKA "La Viete"? How many Cannons did you find? Bronze or steel? Are you still diving that site? Do you have a phone number for a friendly chat? Thanks and hope to speak to you soon.

Hi, What makes you feel you found "1802 the "Conqueror" AKA "La Viete"? How many Cannons did you find? Bronze or steel? Are you still diving that site? Do you have a phone number for a friendly chat? Thanks and hope to speak to you soon.
Given that this is a 15 year-old thread and the OP hasn’t been on here for 14 years, don’t get your hopes up.

I see that, Thanks
Do you have info on that wreck?
I have some and it looks like a worthwhile project.
The two cannons that were brought up By Berry may have indeed come from that secret French wreck,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom