Just found 12 more cannons and 3 new wrecks...we need HELP! That's 35 sites so far!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bloody hell, it really is a crappy website!

no bull**** here

Jamie

PS what about that rocking horse, is it still there?

Nah, not really. Lots of noobs here, a hand full of anti-wreck/NOAA types, but if you are looking for a wreck divers site TDS is a much better choice. This is still much more of a social and information site.

To me, I don't see a helluva lot of difference if it sits for decades in the bottom of a museum or somebody's house. You have the same chance of seeing it....maybe more so if it's in someone's house and you ring them up if you are in town.

A buddy of mine was diving with you and said it was awesome! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much! (the first couple of replies excluded)

First to In10se: I posted that we were considering a field school to teach just such skills. We have held several field schools http://www.nova.edu/ocean/currents/currents_fall99.pdf in the past for students of archaeology but wanted to consider opening it to the general public and got some good responses. If we do hold these schools consider joining one. We will be hiring from these classes we hope as we expand our operation.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...-how-search-recover-shipwrecks-good-idea.html

Second to jamiemac: Dang what a nice set up you have! Can we duct tape a bunch of Chinook helicopters together and fly the Trident back and forth? HA! I will trade you a trip to our operation and you do the same some day? Thank you for your encouragement and best of luck to you!!!!

Thank you for your encouragement also CDiver2!

VooDooGasMan: See the link above about specialty classes. We actually would love to have 15 PhD's in archaeology working each wreck but they charge hundreds of dollars a day and it would be like too many chefs in the kitchen anyways. I can compare it to building a foundation for a building since it is digging. Everyone in the hole does not have a Masters in engineering but there is one there that does and tells each one just how deep, how much rebar, the consistency of the concrete, how to shore up the trench etc. and most times it comes out perfect. So one with major experience and the rest more or less "unknowledgeable". After they are in the trench long enough, then they can supervise.

We have worked with Professor Peter Throckmorten considered by many as the father of modern marine archaeology, Dick Sweet, Dr. Paul Andel, Menson Bound of Oxford University and History Channel's "Lost Ships" Series, Dr. Robert Baer and we have others in the wings wanting to work with us as we progress.

And to Spratman. We are all welcome to our own opinion, mine just happens to be the artifacts should be in a museum if they are historically significant. Most of our wrecks are. A porthole from a freighter might as well be in someone's house if the freighter is breaking up and collapsing anyways.

As far as leaving them for other divers, 99% of our wrecks nothing shows above the sand...no one would even know there is a wreck there. We have wrecks from as early as 1565 and they are getting into worse condition as time goes by...not better. I say we bring them up, conduct research on them, publish and then put them on display in a museum, but our case is rather unique.

To my Private message friends, I am posting about day to day stuff but under another section but I will probably only post here in the future so my info is not spread all over this site:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...cale-weights-1765-compare-digital-scales.html and into other threads like: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-treasures/231817-collecting-antique-bottles.html

As I have said we plan on sending up live streaming video in the near future...hopefully this will give everyone a view of our project minute by minute live and see how we do things.

The offer is still open to a group of divers with their own vessel (40'+) that want to be a part of this and share in the recoveries as we have way too many wrecks to address on our own but it needs to be on their own dime as we have sold our homes, cars, wedding rings and everything else we have to come this far since 1985. We have never sold any artifacts and we have recovered over 12,000 so far that we could sell and buy ourselves Ferraris if that was what we were after. We hope our rewards come from the entrance fee and gift shop in the museum and selling replicas, books, videos, t-shirts etc. about our recoveries and still be able to sleep at night.

Some of our wrecks are purported to carry massive quantities of coins etc. We will share these as how many of 10,000 lbs of coins do you need to study? Also, we couldn't display all of them in the museum as we would have to have a SWAT Team sleep in there and how much would insurance be? More than the daily profits I would bet! We call these, Multiply Represented Artifacts or redundant.

Please keep the comments coming and come down and check us out! Pick out a site from the list in my original post in this thread and pick one out and come down and dig it up!
Jack

I have no problem with artifact recovery, but not at the expense of a reef system. Seriously, you are learning nothing worth that price. I see you expect to get 10,000 pounds of coins, that you plan to share. Or would that be sell?

What do you hope to learn from this?

Nah, not really. Lots of noobs here, a hand full of anti-wreck/NOAA types, but if you are looking for a wreck divers site TDS is a much better choice. This is still much more of a social and information site.

And this would be describing whom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with artifact recovery, but not at the expense of a reef system. Seriously, you are learning nothing worth that price. I see you expect to get 10,000 pounds of coins, that you plan to share. Or would that be sell?

What do you hope to learn from this?

Uh, actually we don't dig into reefs. Where did you get that idea? Are you talking about archaeologists in general or us in particular? We haven't found a situation where a reef is a wreck. Usually a reef is a reef and a wreck is a wreck. Now hundreds of years ago the ship probably hit the reef but we had nothing to do with that. Usually they hit the reef and go over and sink in the sand or bash up against the reef and sink on the sand on the inside. If for some crazy reason they sank on top of the reef, the ensuing storms would wash the debris off the top of the reef where it would settle into the sand. What are you referring to please? I'm confused. Do you know of someone that is digging into reefs looking for wrecks? They are wasting their time whoever they are, those reefs have been there long before ships came along.

What do we hope to learn from this? Everything and anything we can. This is how learning and knowledge comes about. It takes work and commitment not just blithering away at the keyboard about something you obviously know nothing about.

I read my post and I said share. Read it again.

A reef, as described by the dictionary:

reef 1 |rēf|
noun
a ridge of jagged rock, coral, or sand just above or below the surface of the sea.
• Austral. & S. African a metalliferous mineral deposit, esp. one that is bedded and contains gold.

I guess we have a different definition but the photos on your site, NCR HOME, show you are certainly disturbing the bottom in any case. You can hear the vacuum system working in your video and plumes of sand rising which, should it end up covering nearby coral, will kill it. For an underwater photographer muck diving is diving in areas of sand where we can find many different creatures living. The rocks you show in one of the photos with an item nestled in between, also houses many other animals and I would consider that a reef as well. Old wrecks can and do become coral reefs. You have to admit that using a vacuum system does some damage.

Again, I have never questioned your credentials but coming to a scuba board and posting photos and videos like the ones on your site, you should expect a certain amount of criticism. There is a popular thread here right now debating even touching things underwater, so being indignant about some negative posts is naive.

Uh, actually we don't dig into reefs. Where did you get that idea? Are you talking about archaeologists in general or us in particular? We haven't found a situation where a reef is a wreck. Usually a reef is a reef and a wreck is a wreck. Now hundreds of years ago the ship probably hit the reef but we had nothing to do with that. Usually they hit the reef and go over and sink in the sand or bash up against the reef and sink on the sand on the inside. If for some crazy reason they sank on top of the reef, the ensuing storms would wash the debris off the top of the reef where it would settle into the sand. What are you referring to please? I'm confused. Do you know of someone that is digging into reefs looking for wrecks? They are wasting their time whoever they are, those reefs have been there long before ships came along.

What do we hope to learn from this? Everything and anything we can. This is how learning and knowledge comes about. It takes work and commitment not just blithering away at the keyboard about something you obviously know nothing about.

I read my post and I said share. Read it again.

Well if you are not destroying a reef then I apologize, but it sure looked that way on the video on your site.

as for wrecks, when a ship runs aground and sinks on a reef, a good bit of wreckage and artifacts will stay right there, becoming part of the reef system itself.

My very first post in "Greetings" I said I was new to public forums. I hoped by saying that then experienced people would tell me if I was doing it all wrong.

I have received some very positive posts and some that seem to attack everything I'm saying. One poster advised me that there were "Noobs" here but I don't have a clue what that word means. Maybe because I'm almost 60 and an inch away from being a great-grandfather plus I spent most of my life out of country doing what I firmly believe in. Or not.

I receive a reply that since we are disturbing the bottom of the ocean that I may be in the wrong somehow. It even quotes some source that: "or sand just above or below the surface of the sea"? Would that be levitating sand above the water or would that be what most of us call a beach? So, when I walk on a beach I'm killing a reef? What about the bacteria that live on the bottom of my feet? Am I murdering them too when I walk? Should I stay in my bed? WAIT! I could kill Innocent Mites! Should scientists not try and discover how to kill viruses or cancer? Should any one NOT touch anything under the water? Probably not because it may kill it if they don't have a good reason to touch it. If they are doing research to see how to prolong its life, then maybe so.

Who decides? During the dark ages people were put to death for much less than the questions I am asking and trying to solve.

I momentarily decided not to reply to these posts but thankfully I have learned that to those that understand, no explanation is necessary and to those that don't, no explanation is possible however, that being said, if we get off on that then this whole thread is going to end up bickering over the finer points that frankly no one has the correct answer for. Hopefully the quest for knowledge will win out.

Once again, we have current contracts renewed every year since 1985 and have more wrecks than we can deal with on our own. If you want to be a part of this no matter how small or large, please post here and let's see what we can discover together!

If you want to debate over the finer points, post here too, I will endeavor to respond, maybe this thread will become really interesting....who knows? I have one antagonist that has posted twice then what was tantamount to an apology but with some other challenge. I welcome it. Bring it on. We have staff marine biologists, geologists, reseachers, PhD's in archealogy and other related fields on site or on call at all times. We are doing this right!

To those that see the benefits of our endeavor, please respond too.
Sincerely yours,
Jack L. Rea P.s I include one of the displays already set up and what could be displayed in the museum in the building we have picked for the museum to be in, in the next photo. Enjoy! (Yes, if some kind of insect or bacteria invades our museum and attacks our artifacts we may well spray them and kill them. Sorry in advance:-(

Attachments

• faiencecollectionondisplay.jpg
    faiencecollectionondisplay.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Cuartel de Ballaja full front view.jpg
    Cuartel de Ballaja full front view.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 75
p.s... in our field schools you can acquire up to 6 credits from an accredited university in only two weeks! If this appeals to anyone, let me know! Your whole summer done in two weeks in the Caribbean diving on shipwrecks! Same for professors. Please submit a curriculum for consideration along with affiliation(s).

Back
Top Bottom