Just got AL80 from 1983...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they'd like to speak to a shop that has a policy of not filling pre-1988 AL tanks (at least that's what one of the owners told me last time I was there trying to get it filled, after they have filled it for 6 months), just tell them to call the Dive Locker in Panama City, FL at (850) 230-8006

My LDS's technician tells me that an Eddy's current test is required on these tanks. Required by who, I did not ask.

I know of three that won't fill them in IN. As far as customer service and buyer beware..I don't think that is an issue here. You bought what you bought and if you didn't know what you were buying then it is your problem. The fact that the shop said they would refund your money says that they are at least trying. But shipping it back is going to cost you probably between $15-$20. That puts you in the hole that much on your next tank but if you can't get this one filled then it is usuless.

I have two like that 1982 and 83 I have had them filled all over the east coast. No one has ever turned my away
murrr77:
I thought I had a great deal, I bought two AL80's from a dive shop in Phoenix while I was on vacation. Brand new hydro/viz and fill, $89 each. They were also bead blast finish so they look new.

SInce I was on vacation I asked my brother to bring them back to NE for me when he moved. Now I've got 'em and am looking closer, I thought they were from 89 and 90, but now I see at least one of them is a Luxfer from 83, the other is also a Luxfer, might be from 90 but I need to take a closer look when I get home.

So what, am I screwed? I didn't see any "eddy current" stickers and they certainly didn't make mention. In fact, they replaced the valve on one ASAP because it was leaking when I was there and told them I woudln't be able to get it unless it was fixed right away.

Should I call the shop? I cna't beleive they woudl sell somethign without the proper inspection and/or mention it. Obviously it will cost ME an arm and leg to ship back...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom