Just need venting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just came home from two weeks diving in the Andaman Sea, Krabi Region, South West Thailand.

This was my second time there and hopefully not the last.

I dived with a Thai Assistant Instructor whom I had already enjoyed and befriended in October.

Being it low season we were rarely more than two on the same group.

One morning I arrive at the shop and he tells me: "there are another two people today, you don't mind, do you?"

No of course not.

So there is this Portuguese guy, OWD with very few dives and this macho German guy who claims to come to Thailand very often.

I have a look at both and decide I prefer the Portuguese almost-beginner to Mr Rambo.

We get set up and out we find that he's got tech equipment, how surprising...

Five minutes into the dive we encounter strong currents, so my Thai friend signals to EVERYONE we should invert direction and follow another path, everyone is happy, remember, diving is fun, except you guess it right, Mr Machoman, who sets out on a solo dive.

We leave him alone, it's his problem, except for a big (not big enough in my eyes, but I wasn't the dive guide) reprimand once back on the boat.

He still shows no intention to interact with anyone, not even his fellow country people.

Down we go for the second dive, he follows us except that he goes low on air well before anyone else.

Tekkie?

Yeah, right!

Coming back to the village we are finally treated to a long series of German insults, OK, the AI doesn't understand a word, but unfortunately I do.

Rescpect: nil.

Co-operation: nil.

I hope no one ever encounters him.

Takes all kinds to make the world go round Chiara - unfortunately, even in the diving world.

We had a similar experience in the Carribean - two divers thought they were the next Jacques Cousteau (sorry if I spelled it wrong), talking a pretty good game on the diveboat. During the dive, one of "pros" tank slipped out of the strap - his buddy was no where near him, so I helped him out. I turned around to see his buddy standing on the coral poking at something to get it to move. Back on board, they started chastising the DM's for a " too conservative dive" and turned around to the other 8 of us and said we all had to work on our skills as we scared away the fish and stirred up the water. I think everyone just had a smirk on thier face and took it for what is was worth.

Darwin or Murphy will probably be calling on them soon.

Hope your next trip has better companions.......

SS

Chiara

Bad luck on the day but it sounds as if the rest of your holiday was good.

ScubaScott

Surprised that you didn't hang them from the yardarm there and then! Nothing like diving with a real PPPPPPPProfessional!

Regards

Like i learned this weekend, sometimes its best to just smile and walk away.:)

Originally posted by Wendy
Like i learned this weekend, sometimes its best to just smile and walk away.:)

Awwwww!!! You cant say something like that and then walk away and not give us some sordid details!

:wink:

I don't know if I should say anything, it was kinda a I'm DIR they weren't kinda thing. Actually it was more like I'm DIR, they looked like a train wreck kinda thing, and they were trying to give me advise on gear! So I decided they were beyond trying to discuss it with them, so I just listened, smiled, and walked away, and stayed the hell away from them in the water!

Back
Top Bottom