Just saw "Last Breath" on Netflix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nicely done "documentary"

Why do freedivers drop the nose plug and exhale the last 3 meters?

Duh. Makes sense. Thank you

Hi
For beginner freediver : keep all your air under the water to avoid blackout …
But more details and explanations in this video

So they can inhale as soon as they break the surface.
I've gone free diving a little bit and yes that is why. It is much easier and safer to take a breath as you break the surface instead of exhaling and then inhaling. That last exhale I heard can knock you out from being so out of breath, but I've never seen it happen, that was what I was only told. I will say that while I'm down there I can feel my chest progressing getting tighter and tighter. I mean, that's obvious now that I type that because I'm holding my breath haha.

IME the problem with exhaling before you break the surface is that the surface is always farther away than it looked when you started exhaling.

Actually there was at least one who taught me to not breathe, including exhaling, until I break the surface: "if you get into the habit of breathing underwater, at some point you'll breathe in water".

Actually there was at least one who taught me to not breathe, including exhaling, until I break the surface: "if you get into the habit of breathing underwater, at some point you'll breathe in water".
Oh my, is that true? That hasn't happened to me yet, but breathing underwater like that doesn't sound too great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom