Just started DM training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRK44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My name is Jeremy and I'm from the UK 🇬🇧

I got back into diving last year and completed a first aid and nitrox refresher + dry suit at Scuba Libre Diving.
Karl and his team are amazing.

Moved up to Newcastle upon Tyne for a new job and hooked up with DiveCor here.
Now doing deep, wreck and night to get the super duper extra special master scuba diver plastic card :wink:
And I've literally just started dive master training.

In a previous life I spent a short while teaching maths and I became very passionate about helping people achieve more than they thought they are capable of :D so really looking forward to 'going pro'.

Looking forward to the season kicking off 🌞and getting to know some of you guys.
Who knows, we may meet at a dive centre soon!

Thanks

Welcome to ScubaBoard @JRK44. Enjoy your time here.

Don't rush to being a dive master. You have less than 50 dives currently and that does not exude expertise in diving or situational awareness.

Don't rush to being a dive master. You have less than 50 dives currently and that does not exude expertise in diving or situational awareness.
Oh I see. Yeah, more experience is always a plus.
Worth noting that I started my DM training the 'proper' way - I was invited and didn't ask :wink:

I'm in no rush tbh, I just want to enjoy the process and keep diving. If I can share my enthusiasm along the way, that's great too :)

Oh I see. Yeah, more experience is always a plus.
Worth noting that I started my DM training the 'proper' way - I was invited and didn't ask :wink:

I'm in no rush tbh, I just want to enjoy the process and keep diving. If I can share my enthusiasm along the way, that's great too :)
First of all, welcome!

The shop asked you because a DM trainee is free labour and they also get to charge you money for it, it's a win/win for them!
Don't let that discourage you though, if you have the required dives/certs to start a DM course then you are absolutely free to do so despite what others say.

You seem to be in a bit of a hurry to "go pro", just don't forget to chill a bit after you get your DM cert and just get a bunch of diving in there that is not "working dives" where you guide others.
Too many instructors/DMs around who do next to no dives at all outside of work and honestly, most of them suck.

I started DM with 158 dives for what it's worth. No doubt your math teaching experience will mean you start off with some experience with students. I'm sure you'll find working with one student on a skill a piece of cake in comparison. I believe the Instructor course spends a fair bit of time teaching how to manage a class-- of like 8 students..... But, take your time and get a lot of diving in beforehand. The DM course I took was spread over at least 2 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom