Kangaroo Island, december 8th till 12th looking for a buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrsoGirgio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hy,
going to be on the Island from the 8th to the 12th of december, never been to the area I am looking for a buddy or a group to join for some diving.

Thank's
OrsoGirgio :)

Hi OrsoGirgio,

I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

I belatedly saw your post because it is not located on the ‘Australia’ page. I thought I would respond because I think you will have some difficulty in locating buddies. There are a number of issues.

Firstly, the main barrier to diving off the coast of Kangaroo Island is the cost of getting to and from the island. I looked at the cost of joining you for the minimum practical time (i.e. two days) and came up with an estimate in the range of 400 to 560AUD. This involved the use of my own vehicle, ferry fees for both me and my vehicle (i.e. 98AUD and 198AUD respectively) and accommodation in either a camping ground or a motel for one night. Using one’s own vehicle is the cheapest and the most convenient option for a single traveller because of the ability to carry all of one’s equipment (including extra cylinders). I also looked at air travel and a bus-ferry option which are both more expensive for me because of the need to get to and from the Adelaide airport or the Adelaide bus station (i.e. taxi fares) and less convenient because of limits on luggage and the need to hire a vehicle for travel around the island.

Secondly, from past experience, I would suggest that Scubaboard is probably not the best place to find buddies for your purpose because the majority of its users appear to live in North America. The best candidates for your purpose will be Kangaroo Island residents or other parties who may be visiting the island at the same time as you are

In order to find suitable candidates, I would suggest that you might try the following:
  1. Contact the Kangaroo Island newspaper to ask if it can include a request for locally-based buddies within its pages - please refer The Islander Kangaroo Island News, sport and weather | The Islander | The Islander.
  2. Post on diveoz (i.e. diveoz.com.au ) which is an Australian scuba diving forum. It does have some South Australian members who may respond.
  3. Contact the Scuba Diver Federation of South Australia (i.e. Home and sdfsa@adam.com.au ) which is a state body for recreational scuba diving.
The above leads do take advantage of existing networks of contacts. There may be other opportunities. I think you will need to write a brief summary of your plans for sharing with others. Also, please ask for any leads that may lead to the discovery of find potential buddies.

If you have any questions, please post here as I am not interested in receiving any private messages from you regarding this matter. As a clarification, cost and other commitments preclude me from joining you on Kangaroo Island in December. However, if you are diving on the mainland at any time, please advise.

Hy diver257a,

thank's for all your suggestion, will try to see if if the newspaper or directly at filling station on Penneshaw or trough some posting around will be able to found any buddie. Would have been a plaeasure to dive with you on Kangaroo Island but I understand the point.

I will be at Rapid Bays the 15th of december in case you can make it.

Best regards
OrsoGirgio

Hy Hemrick,
thank's for your proposal but the 23rd I am on the Great Barrier Reef up north, will be another time.

I will be at Rapid Bays the 15th of december in case you can make it.

Hi Orso Girgio, I think I can fit in some dives at Rapid Bay on 15th of December. Can you please advise if you are using services from a dive store or other service provider? The reason why I am asking is because they may want me to pay.

Hy diver257a,
on the 15th I am on my own, I will have a tank only rented on Adelide.

Hy diver257a,
on the 15th I am on my own, I will have a tank only rented on Adelide.
Hi Orso Girgio,

I have just send you a private message re the meeting time on the 15th

I have included the following content for your information - site information, general approach to diving and travelling to and from Rapid Bay.

Site information - the site consists of two jetties - the ‘old jetty’ which was built in the 1930s and the ‘new jetty’ which was built late last decade. In case you are not aware, the word ‘jetty’ is used in SA instead of the word ‘pier’. The following article on Wikivoyage which I wrote part of includes pertinent information about diving at the site - Diving in South Australia/Rapid Bay Jetty – Travel guide at Wikivoyage

Approach to diving at Rapid Bay - I like to do two dives entering and exiting from the end of the ‘new jetty’. The first dive is to the end of the old jetty while second dive is on the section of the ‘old jetty’ to the immediate west of the ‘new jetty’.This allows one to have a good look at both the most interesting parts of the jetty's structure and the marine life while swimming at a leisurely pace.

The two dives of about an hour’s duration separated by about an hour’s surface interval. The tides on the 15th will be springs (i.e. highest high water & lowest low water) and hopefully, the weather will be mild and not as windy as it is at the moment.

Travel - while Rapid Bay is only about 100 km from where I live in the suburbs, it takes as long as two hours to get there because of the need to travel through the Adelaide metropolitan area where speed limits are 50 or 60 km and where other delays may be encountered. So I leave home about two hours before the agreed meeting time. I also stop at the Bakery in Yankalilla for a coffee if I am running on schedule.

I hope someone buys diver257A some beers!! Thoroughly deserved

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom