Kansas City (either one) local diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I learned today that I will be moving to KCK next summer and have no familiarity with the dive sites. Can anyone tell me where some good local sites are? I do a bit of deco diving so I'm hoping to find something deep and local. Cold is not a problem. Also, any recommendations on a shop for tech divers?

Thanks,

Mike

Skin and scuba near the stadiums is best for tech diving.

Unfortunately beaver lake or table rock are the closest dive sites and both are 4-5 hours away. The upside is they are both cold and deep!

Can either of you guys comment on any of these sites? I understand they're not deep, but diving once every couple months just doesn't work for me.

I'm good down into the 40s for temp, and vis of 10' or so is fine:

Perry Lake
Clinton Lake
Hillsdale Reservoir
Smithville Lake
Longview Lake
Fleming Park
Lake Lotawana
Melvern Lake (Eisenhower State Park)
John Redmond Reservoir
Truman State Park and Reservoir

Also Bonne Terre Mine, might be a destination for you.

Another site for a weekend trip might be Mermet Springs.

Right, right...called a few shops today and they mentioned it as a cool dive.

I'm trying to find some places that aren't 4 hours from KC though, so I can do some diving without staying overnight.

My god man, who did you piss off to deserve that?

Then again, you ARE a little closer to Florida :wink:

Mike,

Table Rock Lake is fantastic year round and is 3.5-4 hours from KC and is a wonderful place to dive, relax, fish, boat and take a family. Diving TRL you can dive the original Kimberling City bridge that is submerged and you can pick up the top of the steel bridge at about 90-100' depending on the lake level. The lake is 178' deep at the Kimberling City bridge. There are other popular dive sites such as the Enchanted Forest, Jakes Point, the Saddle, Breezy point, Poverty Point, Spider Cove.

About 3 hours away from KC in Lebanon, MO is Bennett Spring State Park. There you can cavern dive, the state does not require a cavern or cave cert but you must be a certified OW diver. The spring December 1-February 28th, Bennett Spring is a trout hatchery therefore there are thousands of Rainbow Trout and the water is always near 60F and typically clear. Call ahead for reservations and you will need at least three divers (one to remain on the surface).

There are some small quarries in Mid-Missouri such as Eugene quarry (2:40 from KC), a shallow quarry that cost about $10 buck to dive open year round.

Rolla, MO has a small shallow (35-40') quarry, there is not much to see but it warms up quickly in the spring and is a nice place to hone some skills.

In Van Meter State park is a small quarry that is about 2 hours east of KC and a few miles north of I-70.

Finger Lakes State Park is shallow and the viz sucks but you can dive there...

There is Beaver Lake about 3:40-4:00 from KC which is a very nice lake.

Bull Shoals known for being even more clear than Table Rock is a about an hour further than Beaver lake.

I have known people to dive Stockton and said it was OK (average for a midwestern cold dark lake).

I am intersted in diving Truman and Stockton myself some day just to check it out.

North of KC is St. Joe State Park where diving is permitted...I don't know much besides that you can dive there.

It sounds like you're a hard core diver (I don't intend to offend others) but someone who can handle dark, deep, cold water year round and is possible a tech diver? I am sure you will find some dive sites that you will enjoy once you start meeting other divers.

If you like diving authentic shipwrecks (shallow or deep) you should make a point to dive Lake Michigan or Lake Superior! It's only 8 or so hours away and is a world class wreck diving!

Back
Top Bottom