Kauai mid Sept suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha - I am an instructor with Fathom Five, so a little biased here :blinking:.

Water temp is 74-76 and we use 5/3mm full suits for all our divers. I would love to have you on one of my trips, off the shore or boat, just ask to dive with Octopus Whisper.

Dive with us or Sea Sports and you will have an excellent time!!

Thanks Mike, I've resent the email I sent earlier, so if you can look it out and reply, then I'd love to hear from you guys. Cheers!

So from what I've read it sounds like most of the shops on the island stop planning trips out to Niihau in September. If I will be in Kauai in October does that mean that I've missed my window?

So from what I've read it sounds like most of the shops on the island stop planning trips out to Niihau in September. If I will be in Kauai in October does that mean that I've missed my window?

I've had a couple of replies back from operators saying they won't be diving, and Seasport say it's very unlikely but to check the week I'm there. If there's enough demand and the weather is okay then it *might* be on.

I'm there from October 16th for a few days, so if you are too then that might constitute "demand" at least!

Aloha girl-independent, I can check with the shop staff to see about the email, but I'm just an instructor :D

As for Niihau, the season is starting to wrap up, we may have 2 more weeks left. With the ocean conditions changing for the Fall and Winter, it becomes harder for the dive shops to cross the channel to Niihau. Let mentioned before, you are best to check in with the dive shops when you arrive to see if they have any trips on the schedule for that week. I know we use Thursdays and Sundays as our trip days and Sea Sports uses Tuesdays and Fridays.

I assure you that when you are here, we can find some great spots to go and have great dives at. :D

I've had a couple of replies back from operators saying they won't be diving, and Seasport say it's very unlikely but to check the week I'm there. If there's enough demand and the weather is okay then it *might* be on.

I'm there from October 16th for a few days, so if you are too then that might constitute "demand" at least!

I'll bet there October 1 - 8. Damn! I'll still ask to see if there is a shot, otherwise I'm sure we'll be able to find some great sites like MikeJ said.

5 mm should be just fine. 3mm pushes it even in summer for many divers depending on what the diver is adjusted to temp wise. It's about 76-77 degrees in mid Oct here.

Cheers

---------- Post Merged at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Mike is right regarding end of season at Niihau. He's also right that there are plenty of great south shore spots that you can experience even though nothing quite compares to Niihau. We get away with travelling to Niihau through Sept usually since we have a larger boat and handle the crossing a little better than small boats. The north swell is the determining factor. October trips are far and few between.

Mike's responses say a lot about his dedication and care for divers certainly. I'd certainly consider requesting him with your Fathom bookings. If they feel that they won't make the crossing you could consider one day with SeaSports for Niihau. As I mentioned in a PM - talk to Randy or George directly if you can at the shop. They'll take good care of you.

This board is the best. Counting down the days..we will get to our hotel about 1:30, so I think we might be too late even for a shore dive but maybe we will stop by to check out the shop and say hi.

Back
Top Bottom