kayak diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
Just found an inflatable w/motor, but I just spent my money on a truck. Damn.

http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/66464532.html

MSilvia brings up a good point. I have dived with kayaks and I have dived with small inflatables. And small inflatables seem to be more fun.

Inflatables are more work and take more time to get ready and to break down afterwards. But while you are in the water with them, they are certainly a blast. And they are definitely not squirrelly like a yak is.

The procedure for prepping an inflatable would be as follows:

Carry the inflatable kit down to the shore.
Pump it up (the worst part).
Attach the transom.
Attach the motor.
Drag it to the wet sand.
Load it up.
Push it out into the water and walk it through the surf zone.
Jump in it and start the motor.
Motor out.

You will need a plastic milk crate with a fairly long anchor line attached to the anchor. One quarter inch line works best. 200 to 300 ft will be needed.

Contrast that with a kayak:

Carry the yak down to the wet sand.
Load it up.
Drag it into the water and get in.
Paddle through the surf zone (always dicey).
Paddle out.

If I do either again, it would be the small inflatable with a motor rather than a kayak.

Yak you 're getting pretty good service there, even a PiggyBack right to the water! Wow, hard to beat that!!

lol

triton94949:
Inflatables are more work and take more time to get ready and to break down afterwards.
True, but if you have garage space, they're really easy to trailer, and only need an quick top-off. I also know several people who use them for dinghys and leave them tied/locked to a dock, but theft is a problem.

Any specific makes/models of inflateable recommended?

Zodiac would be my first choice, but there are a lot of good manufacturers out there. My guess is that any manufacturer's inflatable with floor plates (or better yet a rigid hull) and a transom outboard mount should be adequate. Compare features and materials, and get one that seems reliable and big enough for two divers, gear, and a tender.

West Marine had a few floor models that had me drooling last time I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom