Kayak or Canoe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Which would be better? I like the idea of a canoe b/c I could have more room to store water and snacks etc...but I would like to use whichever is easiest. I've never dove from a kayak or a canoe.

For diving, a sit-atop kayak. No question.

Ever try to board a canoe in midwater? Even without gear?

+1 to fisheater. The canoe is just way too unstable to dive out of. you can't stand up in one without rolling it. True there is more capacity in a canoe, but the kayak is definitely the way to go.

I'm assuming the question is about diving.

Then, kayak. One of those big sit on top ones that can't sink.

You need something that:
  • Can safely sit alone at the surface while you're diving, regardless of current/wave/winds/anchor pull. It doesn't matter if it's upside down - everything will be tied to it.
  • You can get back on easily. Have fun with a canoe. Kayak is tricky enough.
  • Has enough room for your gear.

Thinking about it, an outrigger might do - but all the ones I've seen where designed for speed, not climbing and stowing gear.

Sit on top kayak. They cannot sink, they are easy to get into(onto) from the water, and they make rather large ones that can store a lot of gear. I have not actually done any diving from mine yet, but will do it this summer. I can fit my setup and most of another setup and still be able to move along quite well.

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 97
Thanks! Looks like I'll be shopping for a kayak soon. Looks like it may take a little practice seeing how I've never used one, but it's gotta beat the long surface swims I've been doing across a 36 acre quarry:shakehead:

Which would be better? I like the idea of a canoe b/c I could have more room to store water and snacks etc...but I would like to use whichever is easiest. I've never dove from a kayak or a canoe.

You will not be able to dive from a canoe or a sit in kayak, not going to happen. A sit on top kayak like a OK Scrambler/Drifter/Scupper you can actually dive from, with some practice and the right thinking.

N

I was thinking maybe the ocean kayak prowler 15...I'll look into those others as well.

I was thinking maybe the ocean kayak prowler 15...I'll look into those others as well.

OK Prowler, yes, I meant Prowler and said Drifter which is a fatso yak.

N

Ocean Kayak seems to have it really dialed in for building dive kayaks. I've used several models and they all beat the singles I have :( (Dagger Caymans). It's the simple things you wouldn't think about until you've dived from them that make the difference. The Prowler and Scrambler XT's are really nice. If you like big, the Cabo is roomy, but almost too much to handle on and off a vehicle. The Frenzy will get you by, but it's slow.

I do have an old OK Zest Two tandem and my wife and I can doth dive from it, but it wouldn't work as a single. Multiple tank dives can be done, but I'm not convinced the reward is worth the challenge. Overall, kayak diving is awesome. Just make sure EVERYTHING is clipped on!

Back
Top Bottom