Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubles don't paddle as well as single kayaks. Every double I have ever tried paddling solo just doesn't do as well as a dedicated single kayak. Yes I know they put a center seat in the Hobies, but still. Hobies paddle like crap without a rudder, which is easy enough to add, but gets in the way with kelp (A West Coast thing). Doubles don't have a forward hatch to store gear like fins etc in. I keep my primary mask, weight belt, VHF, cell phone, pump, etc in my center hatch within easy access. Having a tank well to flop the tank and BC into then secure it makes the kayak more stable as the load is lower and well secured in case of a roll over. Also where the hatches come into play. With everything secured down below and low in the hold, the chances of rolling is lessened, and if you do roll, everything will stay inside the kayak safe and secure.

Since I own a Hobie and they are known to crack, I filled parts of mine with a two part expanding foam. This not only keeps my stuff in place, but also is a nice security blanket so it never sinks. My Scuppper Pro has pool noodles inside it for the same reason.

The Scupper Pro is one of the fastest paddled sit on top kayaks out there, and even though they discontinued it, there was enough noise for them to start making it again. It is a narrower kayak, and one of the favorites amount scuba and freedivers. Check the reviews as they are all favorable.

Really I would say screw it and buy a power boat! :eyebrow: Then you can take 3+ of your buddies and go further with less effort. I haven't kayak dove since getting a boat, and now use the kayaks a couple of times a year for touring around.

Doubles don't paddle as well as single kayaks. Every double I have ever tried paddling solo just doesn't do as well as a dedicated single kayak. Yes I know they put a center seat in the Hobies, but still. Hobies paddle like crap without a rudder, which is easy enough to add, but gets in the way with kelp (A West Coast thing). Doubles don't have a forward hatch to store gear like fins etc in. I keep my primary mask, weight belt, VHF, cell phone, pump, etc in my center hatch within easy access. Having a tank well to flop the tank and BC into then secure it makes the kayak more stable as the load is lower and well secured in case of a roll over. Also where the hatches come into play. With everything secured down below and low in the hold, the chances of rolling is lessened, and if you do roll, everything will stay inside the kayak safe and secure.

Since I own a Hobie and they are known to crack, I filled parts of mine with a two part expanding foam. This not only keeps my stuff in place, but also is a nice security blanket so it never sinks. My Scuppper Pro has pool noodles inside it for the same reason.

The Scupper Pro is one of the fastest paddled sit on top kayaks out there, and even though they discontinued it, there was enough noise for them to start making it again. It is a narrower kayak, and one of the favorites amount scuba and freedivers. Check the reviews as they are all favorable.

Really I would say screw it and buy a power boat! :eyebrow: Then you can take 3+ of your buddies and go further with less effort. I haven't kayak dove since getting a boat, and now use the kayaks a couple of times a year for touring around.

Yeah, I see your points. I had my yak before I thought to dive out of it so I just had to make due. As far as maneuverability goes I think my hobie does a great job, but then again it's all i know. Out here on the gulf coast I never feel as though I am going to flip or roll. There have been a few occasions when making it back to the beach where I am pooped and make bad judgement calls where I almost flipped. But, really, if the seas are big enough on the gulf coast to flip my kayak I prob wont be diving. I assume its different on the left coast.

As far as a boat goes, I'm really thinking about buying a 14ft zodiak (or the like) with a 25hp engine. That would be perfect in my book.

As far as a boat goes, I'm really thinking about buying a 14ft zodiak (or the like) with a 25hp engine. That would be perfect in my book.
Make it a 40hp and I would agree!

My boat, which I traded for less than I paid for my Hobie kayak, and the boat also included a galvanized Pacific trailer. Of course I did have to reglue the entire bottom, and transom.
Zodiac.jpg

hey folks my buddy and I are looking at the kayak idea. One thing we were warned about though was getting back on board at end of the dive. We got to wondering about 2 kayaks and rigging the paddles across them whilst in the water to create in essence a cat whilst you are on the mooring. -silly idea??

hey folks my buddy and I are looking at the kayak idea. One thing we were warned about though was getting back on board at end of the dive. We got to wondering about 2 kayaks and rigging the paddles across them whilst in the water to create in essence a cat whilst you are on the mooring. -silly idea??

No need to do all that. When you're on top of the water just clip your leash to your bc and get in and out as you normally would. But before you do any of that stow the rest of your gear while your bc is inflated. While you're back on your yak it's not too hard to slide your rig back in your boat. Also, a previous poster posted a link with a bunch of good info, some of which includes how to get in and out with the rig on,

Make it a 40hp and I would agree!

My boat, which I traded for less than I paid for my Hobie kayak, and the boat also included a galvanized Pacific trailer. Of course I did have to reglue the entire bottom, and transom.
View attachment 99957

That's perfect! I live close to a bunch of small islands and artificial reefs. I'm getting a boat similar to this one. Is a 25hp too small with 2 people and gear?

While you're back on your yak it's not too hard to slide your rig back in your boat.
I do it a little different. My drysuit and BC are filled, then I cut the crotch strap loose and remove my weight belt and stow it in center hatch along with mask, closing the hatch after (I put a d-ring on my gals weight belt to clip it off to a tag line on the boat which is working perfect and I might do it to mine too). Then I doff my tank/BC and slide it into my tank well. Usually I can get it on the first shot. While still wearing my fins, I power up onto the kayak...easy steazy :cool2:

That's perfect! I live close to a bunch of small islands and artificial reefs. I'm getting a boat similar to this one. Is a 25hp too small with 2 people and gear?
We often dive in a team of three, and I have had four divers on the boat. It would barely plane with 4 people and doubles. With three divers in singles it does great, but I can not imagine having anything less for power, nor length. I would also recommend an aluminum deck and trailer the boat. If you want portability the 25hp is the way to go. Of course you could also rig a crane for the 200lb 40hp motor. Setting up and tearing a boat down is not nearly as easy as trailering it.

I'm looking at kayaks to dive from that have good tracking and decent speed .I will use it in lakes and rivers.A Ocean Kayak looks to be an option because stowing gear and stability but speed and tracking might not be there.oR A 2person like a Old Town Dirigo tandem.Any sugestions?

I started diving a friends Scrambler, not the XT model, and found it did not support the weight needed which caused speed and tracking problems. When you overload these things they become very hard to paddle and are almost impossible to get to go in a straight line. I bought an early model Malibu 2 even thou it was not meant for diving it did support the weight needed and was also good for the wife and I to use at other times. The Malibu is a two person kayak with a spot in the middle for one person to use. Based on my almost 20 years of kayak diving experience I like the specs on the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 thou I have never had the chance to try one.

I attended a Kayak seminar this week where a guy had the same desire. He had set up an inflatable Hobie Mirage Kayak with a Brownies third lung. It was pretty awesome. I have a hard sided Hobie Mirage Tandem. I doubt I could get much more than myself and my gear on it. These are pedal Kayaks, which are highly maneuverable, and have a huge range. I would recommend that you look int one of these. They are pricey but worth it if you are serious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom