Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paddle with a tarpon 16 foot every so often. I'm def not paddling every second to keep the boats running side by side.

Have you ever taken 2+ foot rollers at narrow interval while at anchor, with a paddle stowed and your attention on something besides keeping the boat stable? I've paddled hobies(peddled), wilderness system, heritages, and several different versions of ocean kayak. None of them are incredibly faster, or require significantly less work than my cobra. You do realize that most manufacturers recommend you knock anywhere from 75-100# off the max capacity of the boat for actual usable weight. Great example was my prowler: rated at 350+#, With 300 in it you are sitting in water through the scuppers, and so deep in the water the boat is flat not stable.

Racing kayaks, or fast runners, are not meant to carry loads and be stable on re-entry, even with riggers. Buy a boat designed for what you're going to do with it and launch in an appropriate place instead of shoe-horning something not made for the job onto the water so you can shave 10 minutes and a little work off a short trip.

What do I know, it only took nearly dying after a bad turtle to get me in a more appropriate boat for someone my weight, carrying the gear load I am. Just make sure you have a paddle float and stirrup IN the boat and handy, your gear is cleated down and your deck hatches are sealed, and most importantly you have a vhf radio and another paddler with you. Hearing a mayday from a lone kayaker lost and flipped is a disturbing thing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom