Keep renting or buy own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least a reg and guages,mask and fins. I had a rental reg in Mexico once years ago that the SPG said I had 5oo psi left. Well guess what??? I had 0 !! Got back from that trip and bought a set for myself. "Don't go down without it"

thanks for all the comments!
We already have masks and fins and I think we will definately be getting wet suits. But we are not sure about the other stuff. All the equipment we used last time at the dive shop in Akumal seemed good and we will use their stuff the whole week. but then again i think i would be more comfortable with my own stuff. ahhh i dont know we'll see! but thanks again!

Just got my own. Been certifitied less than a year. As others have said its the way to go. This is a great place to get recommendations. Know what you're comfortable with and go from there!

Good luck and enjoy!

newdiver3:
thanks for all the comments!
We already have masks and fins and I think we will definately be getting wet suits. But we are not sure about the other stuff. All the equipment we used last time at the dive shop in Akumal seemed good and we will use their stuff the whole week. but then again i think i would be more comfortable with my own stuff. ahhh i dont know we'll see! but thanks again!

You'll probably like your own stuff better. At the very least, you'll know what you're going to be diving with and how it works.

With rentals, it might be brand-new, it might be crap, it might fit, it might not. If you bring your own stuff, you're sure.

Terry

As pointed before, you may want to rent if you're going to dive a couple of times a yr, but if you're going to dive regularly, then you may want to get your own gear and configure it to your liking.

On rental gear you may have diferent configurations from diferent operators, but with your own gear you will know where everything is all the time.

As you progress in the sport, you'll change configuration to fit your needs and buy the necesary accesories for your type of diving.

Make sure you make your research before you spend you hard earn cash on gear that you may never need or use. you're bound to buy some accesories that you may not need, but the expensive gear like regs, tanks, BC, ect., should be researched well to avoid costly mistakes.

Enjoy the new sport that you chose and don't try to save by buying cheap gear, it would be costly on the long run.

The biggest problem with rentals is the gear that usually goes into rentals. It is most often low to mid range. When you decide that you want to buy a top of the line regulator there's often no where you can even try one out, except for the rare shops that have top gear in rental (and who usually sell at list price). Look for demo days run by the manufacturer's, DUI does a great job with this. Then you get a chance to try out the items you might buy if you only had a chance to try them. Verdad?

newdiver3:
Me and my dad are going to Akumal, Mexico in August. We plan on diving the entire week which I am so excited about :D We will probably do about 7 dives. We are debating whether or not to buy our own gear. We went in February to Akumal and rented equipment and it was fine. but my dad thinks it would be better to own our own stuff. do you think it would be worth it. i plan on diving alot because I am now addicted to diving but do you think for now we should stay with renting or go all out and buy it?

Start buying the equipment, you will be much happier and more comfortable using your own familiar equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom