Keeping spool and SMB separated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the spool, one of the loops goes through the double-ender, pulled tight, then clipped off onto the spool. Gate should face outwards. Other end of the double-ender clips to your harness d-ring.

ATS%20finger%20spool.jpg
wrong
in this position, it can open by itself when jumping in water, if the spool moves on the hook.
not rare.

wrong
in this position, it can open by itself when jumping in water, if the spool moves on the hook.
not rare.

You'd better contact all the major training agencies and spool manufacturers... and tell them they are wrong. :shakehead:

I can honestly say that in 20 years of diving, I've never heard anyone recommend doing it that way. Where do you get your secret information from?

Precision Diving
However, if the double ender is not clipped to the spool properly, not only can line come off the spool, but the double ender may also be in a position to come undone. Below are some pictures illustrating this.

finger-spool-2-300x178.jpg

Finger Spool with Correct Bolt Snap Attachment

Above you can see the correct way the double ender bolt snap should be secured. The gate of the snap should be facing the outside of the spool.

img_3692-300x225.jpg

Finger Spool with Incorrect Bolt Snap Attachment

Above you can see the incorrect way to secure the double ender bolt snap. This method of securing the snap presents two problems. First take a look at the line. The line goes over the top of the spool. This will allow more line to come off the spool, especially when it gets wet. The second problem this presents is that as the snap moves around inside your pocket, the gate on the snap may hit or rub against the line. If it were to do this with enough force, the gate may open and thus allowing more line to come loose or perhaps the snap coming off the spool altogether.

I use a bowline know to tie the big loop on spools (and reels): Bowline Knot | How to tie a Bowline Knot | Boating Knots

I use a drop of Super Glue to secure the bowline knot - otherwise it will loosen/untie *very* easily.

The bowline knot, due to the way the loop "exits" the knot, helps keep the big loop open and therefore easier to work with dry gloves.

I also tie the "Jasper" or "Woody" loop so one side of the big loop is slightly longer than the other one. That way, when I pull on the "Jasper" loop, the longer side of the big loop remains loose, and again easier to work with dry gloves.

Henrik

This thread just got bookmarked. The pictures make it very easy to understand. I never would have got the rigging right without the pictures. Is there ever a worry about the SMB coming loose and failing out of the bungees? Do the bungees have hooks on them or are they just tied through the holes on the plate on each end?

This thread just got bookmarked. The pictures make it very easy to understand. I never would have got the rigging right without the pictures. Is there ever a worry about the SMB coming loose and failing out of the bungees? Do the bungees have hooks on them or are they just tied through the holes on the plate on each end?

The bungees are just loops - circles, tied through the bottom holes on the backplate, nothing fancy. Not necessarily tied through the holes on "each end" of the backplate - that depends on how 'wide' the DSMB/Bag is when it's rolled up. When worn, the DSMB is held snuggly between the base of the tanks and the small of the back. Easy to reach, out of the way, secure and it actually provides a little padding between the bottom ends of the tanks and your arse.

I use a bowline know to tie the big loop on spools (and reels)...I use a drop of Super Glue to secure the bowline knot - otherwise it will loosen/untie *very* easily

I just fold mine back over on itself to the desired length and tie a basic hitch/loop (whatever you call it). They never come undone.

The bowline knot, due to the way the loop "exits" the knot, helps keep the big loop open and therefore easier to work with dry gloves.
I hadn't thought of that - but then, I don't wear dry gloves. I'll give it a try... but will probably stick with a basic loop/knot/thing (below)

loop-knot.jpg

The other little tip with spools, is that I put another small loop knot at the 5m point. Not only does it mark my safety stop (useful if your depth gauge/computer fails), but it allows me a location to clip stuff onto. That can come in handy. Also, when using the reel for penetration, that knot lets me know I am nearly exited etc.

This is the knot I use at 5m...

lhmidm1.gif

If it were me, and I were storing spool and SMB seperately, I think I'd put the spool in my pocket and the SMB external. Reason being if somehow the spool did become unclipped, you have a potential birds nest to deal with. I have seen this happen. It was a mess. And the descending diver was dragging his birds nest over others who were trying to decompress. It sucked for everyone. However if your SMB somehow happened to come unclipped, 6 ft. of SMB is quite simple to resecure comparitevely speaking.

Back
Top Bottom