Keeping spool and SMB separated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would expect nothing less, Robert. And I would deserve it. Me and my flooded drysuit, dragging a 6ft. smb... Ah, good times.

If you want to store the SMB and spool not attached, store each on a double ender attached to a bungie loop or d-ring in the same pocket

That's good advice, but it does depend on what you have in your pockets already. It also depends on the size/function of the pockets. Many jacket BCDs don't have big pockets... many jacket BCDs 'crush' the pockets when inflated, hampering efforts to remove bigger items.

My thigh pockets could fit a small DSMB, but wouldn't swallow a larger lift bag. I don't have much else in my pockets for open water dives, so it's feasible. On technical and/or penetration dives, my pockets are gonna be full of other critical stuff.

I like to develop muscle memory because it helps in emergencies, so I tend to keep stuff in the same position every time... so the bag always lives under my backplate and my primary reel always lives on harness d-ring.

For penetration dives, I keep a back-up spool in a pocket - but my immediate safety spool (same as DSMB spool) is where I can get it quickly and efficiently, even if in cramped environments and zero viz. My muscle memory to reach back, locate, release and deploy that spool is well ingrained now, from use on every dive I've done.

internal or external... try !

If you are responding to me, do you think for a second that, in the last 20 years of diving, I've not "tried" and, from 'trying', subsequently made an informed, critical decision about which method is more secure?

I do a lot of quite demanding wreck penetration, often in very low visibility and cramped confines, with many entanglement risks...so the issue of a spool unravelling has potentially fatal consequences for me. It's quite close to my heart, so I prefer to rely on more than youtube when discriminating the safest alternatives.

DevonDiver,

Thanks for the clear photos and descriptions. I would like to start carrying a DSMB/spool and the photos really clarify things (and also helped me to understand some of the following tips, which were also useful).

I just fold mine back over on itself to the desired length and tie a basic hitch/loop (whatever you call it). They never come undone.

half hitch.jpg

In case you are interested, the above looks like a half-hitch on a bight ("on a bight" signifying that you have formed the knot with a loop, or doubled section of line, vs. just a single strand alone).

This is the knot I use at 5m...

alpine butterfly.gif

And this one looks like an Alpine Butterfly Loop, aka Lineman's Loop.

Thanks again for the informational post (and same to the OP and other contributors).

Blue Sparkle

Do any of you put a plastic ponytail ball (aka cave ball) on the Jasper/Woody loop?

The ball is primarily useful on reels, where it prevents the loop from retracting through the line guide when you are finishing reeling up.

I don't think I would want one on a spool; it is frequently difficult enough to clip the end of the spool line off to the holes in the spool itself, without adding a chunk of plastic to the equation.

I STRONGLY second the suggestion above to store the spool in a pocket. Unwound spools underwater are a nightmare.

and FWIW, I keep my spool and smb, primed, in my right pocket. And I keep a second spool in my left pocket. But the op wanted opinions on storing the spool and smb seperately.

The ball is primarily useful on reels, where it prevents the loop from retracting through the line guide when you are finishing reeling up.

I don't think I would want one on a spool; it is frequently difficult enough to clip the end of the spool line off to the holes in the spool itself, without adding a chunk of plastic to the equation.

I STRONGLY second the suggestion above to store the spool in a pocket. Unwound spools underwater are a nightmare.
i don't have pockets.
i had 2 or 3 times my spool unwound
now, i take care of it and check if it is correctly set. never again.
i have a spool and a reel clipped on a ring of my wing belt and 2 smbs in pockets under the plate.

probably not DIR/GUE/any training agency, but working for me :D

IMG_1535.JPGIMG_1533.JPGIMG_1532.JPGIMG_1531.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom