Key Largo Conditions question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NvScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all you Conch Divers...

My wife and I are coming in this weekend for our IE and are hoping to get an update on water temps down there so we bring the right gear. We have been diving Lake Tahoe and Northern Calif (last weekend water temps was 43 degrees YIKES) and are hoping your temps are still in the comfortalbe 3mm range. We have not been down your way this time of year yet so we are used to shorties being plenty when diving in your lovely waters and no need for long pants or coats.

We will be doing our open water presentations and rescue at the Jules Vern Lagoon on Saturday, confined water at a local hotel pool on Sunday. Hopefully all goes well and we get our OWSI and we will get some fun dives in after the weekend.

So what are the recommendations of the locals? 3mm enough or should we bring somehing warmer? Thanks in advance.

S

Water temps should be in the mid 70's - given what you are accustomed to, a 3mm should be OK - but if you plan to be in the water for a long time, and you have a 5mm, and you have room - take it.

It is very cold for us now (50's, low 60's air temp), but the weekend should warm up - note I've used "should" numerous times in this response - so you should be OK! In fact, if the forecast holds, it should be a great weekend!

Air temp in KL dropped to 40 today but back on the rise for the weekend. Water temps have been 76 but its it is slowly droping, so expect 74-75. Forecasts are GREAT for this weekend...YEAH I'll be in the water teaching. From experience with your IE anticipate more tiime on the surface or on land wet than actual bottom time, so bring whatever will keep you warm.
Best of luck to you and see you on the flipside in the I2I forum.

Thanks for the replies.... sounds like the 3s will get us through... with all the books we have to bring with us less is more in the diving equipement department on this trip.

see yall this weekend. Hopefully the currents on the Duane wont be ripping. Everytime we have been there the mooring balls have been drug under by the current and we always end up on the Spiegle. This will be a perfect trip if we get our OWSI and finally make it onto the Duane.

Keeping our fingers crossed here for a sucsessful trip there....

S

PS drop me a PM if you need anything while in KL..even just a celebrtory cold one...who. knows..even Netdoc might join us.
:wink:
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I too will be in KL this weekend. This might be a silly question but I don't suppose anyone knows of a good spot in Key Largo where one might catch a UFC fight on Saturday night?

I must apologize for highjacking your thread......

Next to Ocean Divers there is a place called the Galley. It has a bar and outside seating area where I have watched some televised sporting. Not sure if they do any pay per view events but you might want to give em a try. Hopefully a local can give you some better advice. Good luck and safe diving.

I too will be in KL this weekend. This might be a silly question but I don't suppose anyone knows of a good spot in Key Largo where one might catch a UFC fight on Saturday night?

Possibly Hogs Heaven mm85, call first

Sharkey's

Google map

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom