Key Largo Deep Wreck dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkEsq

Cthulhu Hunter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi - from reading threads here (and a few prior trips), I'm looking at RainbowReef and HorizonDivers for a short trip in a few weeks. I've enjoyed the Duane and Spiegel Grove on prior trips, though I've never done a double dip to one of them. So a couple of Qs' - does a double dip turn out to be not-so-great due to limited depth time on the second dive? And does flipping the order and doing a deep wreck in the afternoon (like Horizon offers) result in limited bottom time due to residual nitrogen from morning reef dives? Or has that mostly off-gassed by the time the afternoon dives start? I'd be diving nitrox, for what it's worth...

Depends how much do you want to dive the Benwood? Would you rather have a 45 minute dive on a site like that or a second 15-20 minute long dive on the SG or Duane?

Your afternoon first dive will be reduced quite a bit if the first was a double dip. So I would go shallow for one of the trips each day, if you are doing two trips.

Yeah - I wouldn't try to do two deep wreck dive trips in one day. Just a question of whether doing it in the afternoon is a dumb idea. And, not having done a double-dip, just curious if the 2nd dive is really short. Not so interested in the Benwood - done it before and am more interested in the deeper/bigger wrecks. My experience on some of the shallow reef dives has been that they are indeed shallow enough that I could imagine it not having much of an effect on a subsequent deep dive, but maybe I'm wrong.

The second dive can be short, it depends on the computer on what the depths were. I did a double dip where I stayed "shallow" on both dives and got a 45 minute dive on both. I've done double dips where I went deep on the first dive, and poked down on the second which resulted in 30 minutes and 15 minutes.

And while doing a shallow trip first can affect NDL it probably won't be much. I personally would do the deep first, as then you have the option of just not going shallow trip at all. Personally I rarely do more than a half day of diving.

The second dive can be short, it depends on the computer on what the depths were. I did a double dip where I stayed "shallow" on both dives and got a 45 minute dive on both. I've done double dips where I went deep on the first dive, and poked down on the second which resulted in 30 minutes and 15 minutes.

And while doing a shallow trip first can affect NDL it probably won't be much. I personally would do the deep first, as then you have the option of just not going shallow trip at all. Personally I rarely do more than a half day of diving.
As I'll only be there for 2 days, I want to get in as much diving as I can. But thanks for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom