Key Largo Dive Ops - updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrw3gww

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last October, I dove with Ocean Divers. As it was my first time diving in the keys, and I have limited experience (<20 dives), I had a great time. The boat was full but the crew was friendly and helpful. One site had a strong current but the captain adjusted well for the 2nd dive. It seemed there were other boats close by and a lot of people in the water (and a lot of jellies). Also, the 3rd trip seemed to be a repeat of the first trip. Maybe that's par for the course with the reef dives.

I'm planning to come back in mid-November and am considering trying another dive op. I saw that Ocean Divers changed ownership and has some integration issues. I saw Scuba-do is out of business. Is there other "local intel" I should have on the existing dive ops?

I know Quiescence is highly rated but doesn't offer guides. I'm still a newbie and would prefer a guide in the water with me. Ocean Divers put a guide in the water for the whole boat.

Thoughts on Sail Fish Scuba? They are the highest rated on Trip Advisor.

sailfish scuba also charges $111 for a 2 tank dive(dive guide included), by far the highest cost of any upper keys dive operator. rainbow reef which also includes a dive guide in their pricing is only $80 for a 2 tank dive. OD does not provide a free guide since divers direct bought the operation months ago. key dives in Islamorada also provides a guide included in their price of $85. Islamorada dive center $80 includes guided dive. i believe all other upper keys dive operators charge xtra for a dive guide(most charge an additional $50 for one diver). ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i personally would not value trip advisor as a source of reference in regards to scuba diving operators,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
Take a look at Silent World and Conch Republic Divers. I'll be using Silent World in a few months when I head down.

Take a look at Silent World and Conch Republic Divers. I'll be using Silent World in a few months when I head down.

When you come back let us know about SW's new boat...Im very interested in how its setup and how nice it is.

Horizon is pretty good, but as with a few other shops you will not get a guide unless you pay for it.

Pennekamp Park personal guides $40 for first diver, $20 ea additional max 6. Trip $75 w/tanks. 36 Newton. 20 divers max.

I prefer to use Conch Republic divers when in the keys. You can book online, they have a schedule posted and have good prices. There are a lot of options in the keys though.

We had good experiences with Conch Republic Divers.

These are two of my favorite dive shops. Conch Republic is my 'go-to' shop the majority of the times I go to the Keys. I've made two trips to dive with them for a total of 10 days this last summer. I like the staff, their big boat and the fact that they don't babysit divers. They also visit sites that other operators don't hit very often.

I also made 3 dives with Silent World in Sept and they are also a good operator too. They also don't babysit divers and are even more flexible with divers that have advanced certifications.

You can hire a guide from either shop: they don't provide guides.

If you are looking for a free guide, try Rainbow Reef. Their boats will be crowded, but they cater to divers without a lot of experience or that like to have their hands held. I did two days of diving with them a few weeks ago and the staff is very nice though my buddy and I didn't use a guide. Surprisingly, they let me dive the Spiegel Grove solo on one of the trips my buddy didn't join me on (I have a solo cert and had redundant gear). I think for the right diver, with the right experience and the right certifications: they can also be flexible. I just didn't like how crowded the boats were.

Thank you all for your prompt responses. When I dove last year, it was after a brief hiatus. I hired a guide for the morning trip. For the afternoon trip, I followed the guide that went in the water with the whole group. My buddy and I basically followed her around - mostly for navigation assistance. Based on what I read above, few dive ops provide this "free" guide anymore. My other dive experiences are drift dives (Belize and Cozumel) and shore dives in MA & VT. I feel very confident in the water but know I have a lot to learn still, especially for navigation skills.

If we're staying at the Hampton Inn in Key Largo, how long is the ride down to Conch Republic?

Thank you all for your prompt responses. When I dove last year, it was after a brief hiatus. I hired a guide for the morning trip. For the afternoon trip, I followed the guide that went in the water with the whole group. My buddy and I basically followed her around - mostly for navigation assistance. Based on what I read above, few dive ops provide this "free" guide anymore. My other dive experiences are drift dives (Belize and Cozumel) and shore dives in MA & VT. I feel very confident in the water but know I have a lot to learn still, especially for navigation skills.

If we're staying at the Hampton Inn in Key Largo, how long is the ride down to Conch Republic?

slightly less than 12 miles,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom