Key Largo - late June or early Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crystalight33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Considering a trip to Key Largo and was wondering if we'd have a better trip in late June or early October. I've compiled a list of questions/concerns.

Air temps are (hopefully) going to be much warmer in June than Oct, but I assume the water temp will be about the same?

We went on a mini-trip to the FL panhandle last Oct that became a springs only trip due to the evil Red Tide!!!!! (Insert spooky music here) Would that be a concern in Key Largo in Oct?

Obviously would have a higher likelyhood of a hurricane in Oct.

Would there be a noticable change in visibility between the two months?
In marine life?

Is summer considered 'high season' in the Keys, or is it the winter months like the rest of the Carribean?

Any info you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Krista

Considering a trip to Key Largo and was wondering if we'd have a better trip in late June or early October. I've compiled a list of questions/concerns.
Air temps are (hopefully) going to be much warmer in June than Oct, but I assume the water temp will be about the same?

Both June and October are plenty warm. We don't normally see much cooling off until mid-November.

We went on a mini-trip to the FL panhandle last Oct that became a springs only trip due to the evil Red Tide!!!!! (Insert spooky music here) Would that be a concern in Key Largo in Oct? Obviously would have a higher likelyhood of a hurricane in Oct.

I've never heard of red tide in the Keys. The Florida Current (aka Gulfstream) keeps things fresh. And don't plan your vacation around hurricanes, just come here when it suits you :)

Would there be a noticable change in visibility between the two months?
In marine life?

Viz changes from day to day. What improves viz is a (moderate) east wind pushing cleaner water toward shore.

Is summer considered 'high season' in the Keys, or is it the winter months like the rest of the Carribean?

October would most likely be lower priced than June for hotels. Just check the Chamber of Commerce websites for any events that might be going on the weekend you're here. Any special events have the possibility of causing the engagement of the "special pricing" policies that include higher rates and minimum stays.

Any info you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Krista

About half our Keys diving has been during Sept. and Oct. It is the off season and lodging costs are significantly reduced. Yes, it is hurricane season. But frankly, I think you are much more likely to miss dives because of other weather problems than because of a hurricane. According to my reckoning (based on info at this site), there have only been 26 tropical storms or greater in the general Key Largo area during the month of October since 1865, with an average of about 5 yr between each. Note that some years there were 2 storms, but once there was an interval of 21 yrs (1966-1987) without one.

Thank you so much for your replies!

I do realize that having a hurricane ruin our vacation would be very rare..... but I think I am probably the ultimate example of Murphy's Law. If something bad is going to happen, it's going to happen to me. For example, I always get the tank with the leaky o-ring (usually the only one on the boat, all rentals), I gave myself a corneal abrasion accidentally squirting Advantix in my eye (the pet flea/tick prevention) and I did it 4 days before we were supposed to go on a trip with our dive shop, and red tide showed up the day before our mini-trip to Panama City.

But, my birthday is in October.....

Krista

My brother was in Key West late march/early april last year and had Red Tide problems.

First I have heard of it in the Keys.

Mark

Here's an interesting statistical report on the Florida Keys for tropical storms, damaging winds, and tornadoes.

Cool (and somewhat scary) link... thanks for sharing!

If diving is the primary focus of your trip, choose June.

October diving can be just as good (and considerably less crowded) so long as the weather cooperates.

Hotel rates at the Holiday Inn, Ramada Ltd, and Marina Del Mar are identical for both months in 2008.

Dive Safely, Have Fun, and Never Stop Learning!

I agree with Brent. My wife and I make a dive trip to Key Largo every June. We've tried June, October and Thanksgiving week. June in Key Largo is the only month I dive without a wetsuit. It's like diving in a warm bath. Tank tops, shorts and sandals, 24-7. Paradise! We also dive Cozumel every Mardi Gras (Feb). And don't get me wrong, Cozumel is great. But we really love that week in June diving Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom