Key Largo & Marathon - Small Dive Operators??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcmiller10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Husband and I will be in Key Largo and Marathon for 1 week each this July. Bringing our own gear/tanks and looking for small (6 pack) dive operators in each area to do more customized diving. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that SeaMonkeys is in Islamorada, while Quiescence is in Key Largo. Quiescence will have access to everywhere in the Pennekamp Park area, including the good dive sites to the north like Carysfort, as well as the Spiegel Grove wreck which is a "don't miss" Keys dive.

SeaMonkeys will be diving sites further south and, while there is excellent reef diving in Islamorada, in my view Key Largo has the edge in terms of variety of locations, wrecks and marine life. If this is a rare or your first trip to the Keys then Key Largo and Quiescence is the way to go.

Not knocking the other op, great reviews and reputation. But I have used Quiescence for many years and can also say they are top-notch, with the edge going to the areas that they dive.

Don't dive much in Marathon proper as it is not as nice reef-wise as Key Largo. But, my absolute recommendation is that, if you stay there after Key Largo, to drive just a bit further south to Big Pine Key and dive Looe Key sanctuary which is arguably the most beautiful reef in all of the Keys. Only 15-20 mins drive from marathon. Google it and you will find several ops. Not sure if any are 6 packs, but, I can tell you, I would rather take a bigger boat to Looe Key than a six pack to the reefs near Marathon. I would rate Looe Key as another "don't miss" dive.

The Keys in July rock! Typically are calm, warm, great vis, no lobster season zoo, and very light crowds during the weekdays.

Enjoy your dives!

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input...have info on Quiescence and HMS minnow. We are actually renting a boat for a week while in Marathon so may not do much diving with an Op down there, but the Big Pine Key info is interesting and will share with the husband.

If you are renting your own boat in Marathon, assuming it is a decent size boat capable of short offshore trips (ie not a skiff or a pontoon boat, but a center console or regular boat 18' or more with charts or GPS-- but you don't really need GPS to Looe Key) you should be able to make the trip to Looe Key. It is not that far by boat and definitely worth the trip. Looe Key has lots of mooring buoys (mandatory) and you can easily dive it on your own. Best of all, Looe Key is 20-40' so your tanks will last a long time. The boat rental place should be able to tell you how to get there.

The Busch wreck is a couple hundred foot long ship that was sank nearby Looe Key maybe 15 years ago. We were there a week after they sank it and then maybe 8 years later. (my log book is home and I am not) Current was rippin on the return visit but was nice on the bottom as always. Don't miss it.. google it

If you are renting your own boat in Marathon, assuming it is a decent size boat capable of short offshore trips (ie not a skiff or a pontoon boat, but a center console or regular boat 18' or more with charts or GPS-- but you don't really need GPS to Looe Key) you should be able to make the trip to Looe Key. It is not that far by boat and definitely worth the trip. Looe Key has lots of mooring buoys (mandatory) and you can easily dive it on your own. Best of all, Looe Key is 20-40' so your tanks will last a long time. The boat rental place should be able to tell you how to get there.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2015 at 03:30 PM ----------

The Busch wreck is a couple hundred foot long ship that was sank nearby Looe Key maybe 15 years ago. We were there a week after they sank it and then maybe 8 years later. (my log book is home and I am not) Current was rippin on the return visit but was nice on the bottom as always. Don't miss it.. google it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom