Key Largo Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reefs are the same no matter who you dive with. But the crews can be entertaining.

Most all operators basically give you a boat ride to the reef and back. I would ask about time limits as some want you back after 45 minutes.
Went on a night dive a couple different times with different operators. One said be back in 45 minutes and the other gave 1 hour. Guess who I will go with next time.

We have about 100 dives in Key Largo. A few years ago we used "Silent World" and "Its a dive". Back then (at Silent Wotld) we could decide among the clients where to dive but now its looks as if they have a daily/weekly schedule to specific dive sights. Most trips we were on a the boat with Pat (DM ususally with a student) She is a hoot. It's a dive is at the Mariott and normal dives were a larger pontoon boat with some snorklers. But going to S. Grove we would be on a much faster smaller boat.

Truthfully, it is hard to go wrong with any of them.

Cap't Slate is one of the most entertaining.

My personal favorite is Amy Slates Dive Resort at mm104 because the accomodations are right on the water and they have a large 45' catamaran on the premises.

Another good one is Pirate Island Divers at the Marriot, they also have a large 45' catamaran.

Pssst... Don't listen to anyone else on this board, they're all narc'd.

Just kidding they're all great choices and the main difference is large or small vessels and dive destinations.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't judge off of 1 dive trip with them but I felt rushed with Rainbow reef divers. The DM gave me the surface signal when I still had 1200 psi on my 2nd dive. I just think they were ready to go home.

I spent 3 days diving with Rainbow Reef a couple of weeks ago. During midweek, it was us and 3-4 others on a 42ft Newton, with a dive guide. On the Friday, it was us, 4 other divers and 5 snorklers. We saw some cattle calls at the reef, and I was thrilled that we were not on those boats.

The staff is a blast, guides are very cool and diving was awesome. Highly recommend Rainbow Reef, though I have not tried others in the area. I will definitely be back.

Sabanist,

Did you sign you wanted to go longer? The captain tells you when you have to be back. My DM asked if I wanted to go up. Others with 1200-1600 went up, I wanted to go longer, so she and I set out for a 15 mins longer. I only bring this up because I saw similar happen on my trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom