Key West December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are who I dive with. They offer the "highest level of service in Key West". I say that in quotes because most of the folks I dive with don't want that level of service and don't really want anyone touching their gear. If you like to be guided, have your gear changed on your tank for you, and help on and off the boat, they are an excellent choice. I know the DMs and ask them not to touch my stuff. Many of their staff have worked for me in the past.

They are who I dive with. They offer the "highest level of service in Key West". I say that in quotes because most of the folks I dive with don't want that level of service and don't really want anyone touching their gear. If you like to be guided, have your gear changed on your tank for you, and help on and off the boat, they are an excellent choice. I know the DMs and ask them not to touch my stuff. Many of their staff have worked for me in the past.

Good to know. I don't mind the valet service. I keep an eye on them and double check my gear as well as my wife's. Lets be honest, they're much more qualified and have way more experience then I do any way.

It's their buy 3 get 1 free, plus no charge for mandatory dive guide on wrecks that has me attracted. Its quite a price difference over 5 days with possibly doubling up on some days. Just the guide alone will save us over $300. Not looking to base my choice on only price, which is why I asked here.

If they're a solid and safe op, then saving me $500-$700 will go along way for more dives, new wetsuit and new computers!

On the flip side Captains Corner and Southpoint are within walking distance of my hotel.

They are the most solid and finest op in Key West afaic. As I say, they are who I dive with.

Most florida diving your on your own...the dive shop will take u to the site, but no DM will enter the water with you...keep in mind that Dec-Mar the viz can be zero due to the winds/currents.

"Rainbow reef" in key largo provides free guides (DMs in the water). Usually a few DMs for smaller groups. The whole operation seems to be based on "holding hands" too much. Probably a gold mine for beginners.

Horizon Divers would be my personal choice. No hand holding, everyone is a big boy.

Last edited:
if you use them or get some feedback, I'd be interested in thoughts and experiences as well. Husband and I going to be in Key West in March and was thinking I'd call Dive Key West for a few quick dives.

I'm a bigger fan of Captain's Corner than Dive Key West, but for a reef diver the staff at Dive Key West will be great. I like the brand new boat at Captain's Corner. Leslie runs a nice shop and they are one of the few that don't get all Helicopter Mom when it comes to dives on the Vandenberg. Their guides seem to have their act together the few dozen times I've been out with them.

After carefully evaluating a few great companies, we ended up using Captain's Corner. There were a few details that helped decide this. Their boat leaves 30 mins later then Dive Key West and they were within walking distance of our hotel. This gave us the better part of an hour in the morning with being able to walk there and not fight for a parking spot. It feels nice not to be rushed when your on vacation, who wants to get up at 6am every morning when you're supposed to be relaxing.

After running the numbers with (included) and without out guides (extra $), I realized that it made sense to just complete our AOW cert. This was only $100 more then adding a guide every time. While requesting AOW class prices Captain's Corner informed me that after completing our certification that we would be graduates and entitled to future discounted rates on diving, $85->$65. With that discount a double dip with guide is only $95pp after completing out AOW.

With most dive ops rating very similar these two options were enough to make the decision easy. There communication was superior compared to everyone else as well. I probably have over 15 emails back and forth with them, all answered usually within an hour. Other ops failed to even respond to a simple AOW price request.

Now as for their operation, it was great. I received a call from my instructor (Billy) the day before just to get an idea (for both of us) of what was going on. We discussed our experience, location, gear, ect ect. He also explained how things would work the next day as well. He even let us know not to hang our gear over the balcony where we were staying, as they do not appreciate that:wink:. Not completely necessary but a very nice personal touch that was above and beyond.

They do have a nice new larger boat. It seems that most boats there are of this size, at least the ones we saw actually going out. Not small like the 6 packs of Cozumel.
Seas were 3-5' every day so the larger boat was much nicer. Now I know people can be disinterested in "Cattle Boats", but it never felt like that. Most days there were 20+ divers and they do a great job of loading and unloading. Never did we feel rushed, waiting or over crowded. Everything flowed very smoothly. Most divers on board were advanced and had their acts together as well. Unlike the Cancun boat that was filled with 25 divers plus guides, I was the most experienced diver with 15 dives and the only one with my own gear. That was definitely a cattle boat.

Captain, Teachers, DM's, Guides and dock help were all great. Very professional but still fun. We did 6 dives for our AOW with Billy, he seams to take most students. Very great teacher. Even spent extra time with my wife on compass comprehension as we were really rushed though that in OW. Before she had no idea what it was, now she is very confident with it. He debriefed us after every dive with things to work on and how to become better divers over all. After or training dives we did two more with another guide, Amanda. She was great too. Gave us an increased understanding of NDL, ppo and deco as related to our computers, and the major differences between them.

As far as handling your gear and "valet service", it goes both ways. Basically if you have your own gear, they wont touch it. They will politely ask if you'd like help, such as switching over in between dives, and are more then happy to do so. But a simple no thank you and they will not touch your gear. They are very understanding that most people don't want their gear touched. Now if you rent a full setup from them, they usually tell you to relax and enjoy your vacation, as they switch it over for you.

All and all we did 8 dives over 3 days. Most days there were divers from other op's on their boat as well. I'm not sure if it was due to weather or lack of interest, but the only other boat we ever saw out there was Southpoint. I would absolutely recommend them and they will be my first choice when we return.

....All and all we did 8 dives over 3 days. .

Great report and glad you liked Key West. Every dive boat has different policies and practices. You did the right thing by getting as much input from here so your trip was a success and you are now AOW! :yeahbaby:

Did you dive the Vandy and how did you handle the current?

Did you dive the Vandy and how did you handle the current?

Sure did. Got 4 dives in. Current was really only a small concern on our first dive. We dropped to the lesser current side for protection working our way up to the bow. Then rode the current back to our line. On the other 3 dives we spent more time inside so crappy vis and strong current were no issue.

We loved every bit of it, cant wait to do more wrecks:yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom