Key West or Key Largo for dive instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to try to add an additional day and stay one night in Key West. Hotels seem to be booked up and prices are jacked up though!
Yap, hotels are more expensive in KW. There are also many B&B in KW. Do some search and they'll come up. Some of the B&B are also expensive.

Two years ago I got a Days Inn for $61/n on priceline. That was after several days of bidding. Days Inn is actually at the far easten edge of town, as you enter KW. It was fine for us, as KW is not very big. Parking downtown KW is expensive, so we parked at one place, and left it there for the time when we were downtown, just walked a bit.

There are lots of good seafood restaurant in KW. We walked a little further to Half Shell Raw Bar. The name doesn't sound good, but we've heard good things about the food. Was not disappointed. Oh, in KW, they sell key lime pie everywhere. We tried both the small ones on a stick ($5), and a whole pie ($16-25). It was over-rated. Not quite worth the money or the "novelty".

Have fun in your stays in the keys.

Yap, hotels are more expensive in KW. There are also many B&B in KW. Do some search and they'll come up. Some of the B&B are also expensive.

Two years ago I got a Days Inn for $61/n on priceline. That was after several days of bidding. Days Inn is actually at the far easten edge of town, as you enter KW. It was fine for us, as KW is not very big. Parking downtown KW is expensive, so we parked at one place, and left it there for the time when we were downtown, just walked a bit.

There are lots of good seafood restaurant in KW. We walked a little further to The name doesn't sound good, but we've heard good things about the food. Was not disappointed. Oh, in KW, they sell key lime pie everywhere. We tried both the small ones on a stick ($5), and a whole pie ($16-25). It was over-rated. Not quite worth the money or the "novelty".

Have fun in your stays in the keys.

I did Hotwire last night and got the Crowne Plaza Hotel Key West (La Concha) for 115.00 for one night. Already have a reservation at Bayside Resort in Key Largo for three nights but may roll the dice and do hotwire or priceline closer to the date and see if I find an even better deal.

Now I just have to figure out the best dive shop to meet the expectations of someone with so much dive experience! :idk:

Thanks for the restaurant rec!

I did Hotwire last night and got the Crowne Plaza Hotel Key West (La Concha) for 115.00 for one night. Already have a reservation at Bayside Resort in Key Largo for three nights but may roll the dice and do hotwire or priceline closer to the date and see if I find an even better deal.

Now I just have to figure out the best dive shop to meet the expectations of someone with so much dive experience! :idk:

Thanks for the restaurant rec!

Try Kathy at Keys Maritime Charters or Mike at Keys Scuba Shack. Both are 6-packs that will run with 2 folks. You can do whatever you want, reef, wreck, whatever. Other shops have 6-packs, but tend to run scheduled trips.

Try Kathy at Keys Maritime Charters or Mike at Keys Scuba Shack. Both are 6-packs that will run with 2 folks. You can do whatever you want, reef, wreck, whatever. Other shops have 6-packs, but tend to run scheduled trips.

Thanks! May do one dive in Key West but doing majority of diving in Key Largo. Looks like both of these are Key West operations.

Wondering if we need to book in advance or is it safe for him to sort things out on day 1?

For Key Largo, try this Holiday Inn F&F rate. Can get a 2D room for about $121/n. Supposedly no cancellation, and some hotel may charge right away.

Also Ramada is going to run their F&F rates again starting tomorrow Jan. 19 to 26, for stays by Apr. 30/2010. Last time when they run it, I got Ramada Key Largo for $80/n for my family's stay in mid-March, including breakfast. It's promo code SDM, and corp code 1000007747. Some hotels may require you to pay first, and some may not allow cancellation.

Does he need to book ahead in a dive shop or is he safe sorting things out on arrival? Looks like Conch Republic is highly recommended. Which shops are the most flexible and don't cancel if they only have a few people?

I visited Key Largo in July and Oct 09, stayed at the Pelican Inn on both occasions and dove with Silent World Dive Shop. Dove Speigel Grove Wreck in July, heavy current, but fun, Oct no current, clear viz. Reefs were healthy too. Night dive was off-the-hook. It is a long drive to Key West, recommend diving all three days in Largo. Safe diving.

Contact speargirl here on SB, she can get you a dynamite rate at the Key West Inn in Key Largo.

I highly recommend booking your dives and understanding the cancellation policies. If nobody books and expects to be a walk-on, then boats aren't able to build a manifest.

There are several great dive ops in Key Largo, no need to drive any further.

Thanks ya'll for being so helpful. As someone who is a complete beginner in diving :confused: it's been difficult to plan a trip for someone with 8000+ dives. You've been a huge help! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom