Key west

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adolphus Busch, actually. Nice little wreck. Low currents, but this unfortunatley results in poor viz often on this wreck. That is the typical wreck people dive in the area. The dive center I mentioned does the Busch for the first dive on their Wednesday and Saturday runs.

It also sounds like these two operators run the same kind of boat. There are a lot of these catamarans in that area.

LJ

LJinFLA:
Adolphus Busch, actually. Nice little wreck. Low currents, but this unfortunatley results in poor viz often on this wreck. That is the typical wreck people dive in the area. The dive center I mentioned does the Busch for the first dive on their Wednesday and Saturday runs.

It also sounds like these two operators run the same kind of boat. There are a lot of these catamarans in that area.

LJ

Adolphus...thanks!

Shark,

I run a small 6-pack boat out of Cudjoe Gardens Marina and we go to the Busch and Looe Key on a pretty regular basis. It is the best reef diving in the keys, imo. If you're more interested in wrecks then Key Largo is the place to be. You didn't mention if you were going to be traveling with any other divers or if you'll be needing a buddy when you get down here.

I work with Underseas and Looe Key Dive Center both on a regular basis and used to work for Looe Key. They both run the 45' Corinthians as do a few other local operators.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about keys diving.

Rachel
305-515-2750

P.S. LJ, Capt Paul is back up north for the winter, he'll be back at Looe Key in the spring.

biscuit7:
P.S. LJ, Capt Paul is back up north for the winter, he'll be back at Looe Key in the spring.

Wait a second, I thought everyone went south for the winter!!??! Where is his winter home. Hopefully North means Miami or something and not something cold. I would would have to start questioning his mental competence to drive a boat if he left the beatiful keys for colder climates in the winter:05: Thanks for the info. Didn't know he was seasonal.

LJ

LJinFLA:
It's called World Water Sports or Divers Direct. The two companies merged last year. World Water Sports is the surviving company but they still carry the Divers Direct logo and web site. One block south of Front street actually. On the corner of Greene and Simonton

LJ

I was just there (post Wilma) and that operation was gone. Everything, including most of the store fixtures were out of there. I don't know if they emptied the place in advance of the hurricane, but it looked as though they had left Key West.

I am sorry to see them go. Having a local dive supply place in the Keys was really nice.

--

john.

Shark,
I live on Big Pine Key in the summers. I dive Looe Key every day, and it in my opinion is the best reef in the keys (hammerheads, black tips, nurse sharks, Eagle rays, Sting Rays...... and that is just what I saw on a single dive this summer). With Pennekamp being a close second. I have dove with Underseas several times, and actually think they run a good oporation.
I don't like the diving in Key west. Go their for dinner, dive Looe Key.

Polly

austintxdiver:
I was just there (post Wilma) and that operation was gone. Everything, including most of the store fixtures were out of there. I don't know if they emptied the place in advance of the hurricane, but it looked as though they had left Key West.

I am sorry to see them go. Having a local dive supply place in the Keys was really nice.

--

john.

First, there a hundred "Local dive supply places" in the keys. Also, I just went to their web site and they still show the Key west location, and show it open with no indication that is or will close. It must have closed or sustained damage from the storm.

LJ

Most of Key West had over 4' of water in the buildings. I'd be willing to bet they had to toss all their inventory on the ground level and will re-open as soon as the structural repairs are done and they get restocked.

Paul goes all the way to Marco Island, btw. Whew, NORTH!

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom