Knife/Compass Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zhenqing

Registered
Reaction score
This question is for those of you who carry a knife and/or compass. In your experience, what location have you found to be most convenient? (e.g. knife strapped around leg/thigh, on BC's pocket, strapped to BC's belt, compass on left/right wrist, console mounted, etc.) Thanks!

I'd rather have my compass on the console - and actually the knife on the console as well - or somewhere low on the bc. Never on my leg, or up on the inflator hoses (like I've seen some do!) I want it where I can easily reach it without having to bend down to my leg, and where it will not get tangled on things, and where I can see the sheath as I take it out or put it back in.

Zip tied to the back of the console seems to work best - or there are even consoles out now like the Aeris Atmos 2 W/ Knife that have it there already.

Knife on the BC with the point facing up on the left side of your chest if you're right handed. You will need to know the release clip well buts its close at hand and easy to get at.Just be careful when putting it away. Also possible on the underside of your offside(left) forearm with the point towards your elbow.

Compass on a console or better Nav compass board if you're doing a detailed Nav dive as if helps stay on course.If it sits on your wrist you will move it around and so not be able to move in a straight line of your bearing. That only applies to dives where you need to exact.

Compass on my computer or wrist, opposite my backup wrist computer, EMT shears on each side of my BC, & finally a knife attached on the lower right side of my BC. I know it might seem like a little overkill, but I like to be prepared. :crafty:

I find a small Silva hikers compass the most conveinent. It is liquid filled and pressure proof. I carry it in a BC pocket and just hold it in my hand if I need to use it. It is one less thing on my wrist or console. Best of all they are less than 10 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Captain

I carry a knife upside down on my corrugated inflator hose for my wings. That way, it's easy to reach with my right hand and easy to replace after use.

I carry a set of shears in the waist band of my harness. It is also on the left of center so that I can access it easily with my right hand. Yes, I am right handed. :11:

I carry a small knife inside the grip of my light's goodman handle.

Since your hands are going to be in front of you for most of the dive, you want to have your cutting instruments in that region. Besides being an entanglement hazard, a knife worn on the leg will be of no use to you when you are stuck in a hole, etc., and can not reach down past a restriction to get it.

My compass is on my left forearm.

I know it all depends a lot on the type of diving that you do. If it's relatively clear and free of obstructions, I prefer to have my compass on my console. I have the old sherwood 4 gauge configuration and it works great. I can read everything all at once - air pressure, depth (computer so I also know how much time is left) and direction. It's easier and quicker than turning things over to figure out where you're at. My knife is large so it won't fit on the BC. I prefer to have it strapped inside my left calf. This is easy enough to reach in a hurry and it doesn't get tangled on stuff. Never wear you knife on the outside of your leg. Inside allows you to get it with either hand and it keeps you more streamlined and tangle-resistant. Don't forget to check your compass before you go and compare it with the other divers compasses to make sure it is functioning properly. I've seen a lot of compasses that appear to be accurate at first glance, but in actuality, are not correct. They are more susceptible to breaking than your other guages. I'm not a big fan of BC mounted knives or wrist mounted compasses. Wrist compasses get in the way if you reach into holes and when you are donning and doffing gear. If you were bringing a second compass, then your wrist would be a good place to have it though. There are some nice, low profile compasses that are good for this application. The EMT scissors are a good idea too. Remember, you want this extra gear to help you, not make you more distracted and confused as to where it is and how it works when you need it in a hurry.

i carry knife on my leg, BC or at times i place it in the inbetween sleeve of my rashguard and my forearm, when i bring a flat SS small knife.

Compass, the regular i put it in my pouch. most of the time i use the small suunto compass that you attach to the strap of your computer or dive watch.

knife on inner left thigh. its less likely to become entangled, and can be reached w/ either hand w/o bending over.
Another, folding knife in inner pocket of waist pouch, in outer pocket OMS shears (little stronger and rust resistant than EMS shears)

Depends on the dive. In zero vis water I carry a small knife on the corragated inflator hose, EMT sheers on my BCD waistband and a knife on the inside of both calves. If I am wearing my safety harness under my BCD, I have sheers on the shoulder strap of it as well. While it may sound a little extreme, when you are cutting fishing line that you can only feel and not see, then you drop your cutting tool, its imparitive to have a backup, or two, or three, or......

When I am diving in warm clear water, I usually only have the sheers as a "just in case"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom