Koh Chang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centrals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have not travelled in Bangkok for many yrs. And I nearly forgot how the mass transit system really P me off previously. From BBK to my hotel in Ekamai required change of train twice ie. different line and that means buying new ticket/token everytime. There is also a fair bit of walking involved. I am glad that I only had 7kg of hand carry and nothing else.
Went to Ekamai bus station to buy ticket(B292.00) to Laem Ngob tomorrow at 07:45.

Hah, I'm currently at Mo Chit, waiting for my Ranong-bound bus to start rolling.

I actually quite like the Bangkok mass transit - at least the trains get you out of the traffic. I don't like Bangkok itself, mind you, just like I don't like any huge city, but the trains make it more bearable. Certainly better than NYC in this regard.

Bolt is the pro move for long distance travel in Thailand unless you’re sticking to one rail line. Basically a long distance Grab.

Not as cheap as the train but man it’s easy.

Um, what? Bolt is a taxi aggregator, same as Grab (although Grab does other stuff as well). Taxi car is the absolute last thing you want in Bangkok traffic, it is a measure of last resort. If one is going long distance (i.e. several hundred or more kilometers) then a taxi quickly becomes uneconomical compared to intercity bus or train. My current ride from Bangkok to Ranong cost 538 baht through 12go; a Bolt taxi would've been about 4-5k.

Oh man, i read the thread title and figured that somewhere they were trying to take BTS around Bangkok and then from Ekamai to Koh Chuang and were pissed they had to change trains to do so...

But yah, I strongly agree! BTS or motocai are the only way to get around Bangkok proper if one values their time. Especially if that travel involves any stretch of Sukhumvit.

Hah, I'm currently at Mo Chit, waiting for my Ranong-bound bus to start rolling.

I actually quite like the Bangkok mass transit - at least the trains get you out of the traffic. I don't like Bangkok itself, mind you, just like I don't like any huge city, but the trains make it more bearable. Certainly better than NYC in this regard.
The roads are still chuck of block. But it is a lot more comfortable if one commute by the mass transit.
Bus is the best for out of town travelling. Train is slow and only covers more less one line from Chiang Mai to Yala but it has character. It is always the best form of travelling. Van is not bad as long as not overfilled with passengers and luggages.

Bus is the best for out of town travelling. Train is slow and only covers more less one line from Chiang Mai to Yala but it has character. It is always the best form of travelling.
12go used to sell a single-ticket trip from Bangkok to Koh Tao by train to Chumphon, then transfer to pier and ferry - it was quite nice, as you had a sleeper berth on an overnight train. They don't do it anymore, I wonder why - maybe because SRT closed Hua Lamphong station that 12go office was sited right next to, so it's no longer as convenient for them to buy the tickets.

12go used to sell a single-ticket trip from Bangkok to Koh Tao by train to Chumphon, then transfer to pier and ferry - it was quite nice, as you had a sleeper berth on an overnight train. They don't do it anymore, I wonder why - maybe because SRT closed Hua Lamphong station that 12go office was sited right next to, so it's no longer as convenient for them to buy the tickets.
I booked directly with Thai Rail yrs ago. The journey(AC 2nd class) was comfortable but the AC was ridiculously COLD. The conductor came to make the bed and then woke me up as the train was approaching Chumphon. Great service.
Hua Lamphong has character but just too cramped. Everyone stood up, except some tourists, at 19:00 when the national anthem was broadcasted. I deposited my pack for few hrs of storage and the clark asked me if I had any food in it because there were rats there! LOL.

Were you in 2nd or 1st class? I've taken 2nd class several times, and don't remember it being particularly cold, but I've heard that in 1st class they really crank it. I have ridden in 3rd class once, from Surat Thani to Bangkok, because I did not prebook tickets and showing up at the station, that was the only thing they had... the window wouldn't close; I layered half a dozen shirts to stay warm.

Were you in 2nd or 1st class? I've taken 2nd class several times, and don't remember it being particularly cold, but I've heard that in 1st class they really crank it. I have ridden in 3rd class once, from Surat Thani to Bangkok, because I did not prebook tickets and showing up at the station, that was the only thing they had... the window wouldn't close; I layered half a dozen shirts to stay warm.
It was indeed 2nd class but I was prepared otherwise I would had to wear my wet suit. LOL.
I will try the 3rd class unreserved in Sep from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Yala.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom