Koh Chang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bus is scheduled to depart at 07:45 but several tourists turned up around that time trying to buy tickets! What were they thinking? It was a big pity that the bus was not full otherwise I would really enjoy to see some very disappointed faces.
Anyway, the bus eventually departed at 08:05 and made only one 15 mins stop for everyone to stretch their legs or buying some snacks. There is on board toilet so the stop was not necessary.
Ferry fare is B80.00 but combined ticket to the resort is also available.
I bought the ferry ticket only and the fare for the songthew in Koh Chang pier is a bit complicated. There is a big board with fare to those beaches on the Weat coast, East coast is completely different story. However, the fare for the West coast is based on the songthew departing with minimum of 10 passengers(clearly written in Thai and English). Tough luck if you do not understand either language. Passengers has the choice either to wait or pay extra. Six of us on board decided to pay the extra. So instead of paying B100.00 to Lonely Beach, the fare has increased to B150.00. B1,000.00 is the base fare.
Three persons wanted to go somewhere in the East coast and they have to charter a whole van for B1,000.00.
Diving tomorrow.

Why not book intercity bus tickets online? 12go makes it absolutely trivial.
I only book flight and accommodation with FREE cancellation on line. I even do not pre pay check luggage just in case of last minute cancellation.
Just keep it flexible and simple but I definitely won't turn up at train station or bus terminal within few minutes of the departure schedule.
There is absolutely no reason for me to use 12go or something similar.

Must be the beginning of the low season now. Went out for breakfast and I could not find anywhere serving Thai breakfast and the only restaurant opened on the main road in Lonely Beach has the menu catered mainly for tourists. I settled on omelette with rice, there was nothing else.
Picked up was on time and only at Bang Bao Pier did I see Thai food.
Completed all the formalities and paid for a three days six dives package for B8,500.00 + B400(Marine Park Fee).
Two dives on Koh Thian and Koh Nok respectively.
The max depth on the first dive was slightly deeper than 10m, came back to the boat with 90 bars and bottom time of 64mins.
Second dive was slightly deeper ie. 15.2m and I surfaced after 45mins and 100 bars.
Two very very disappointed dives. The dm was doing his best searching for nudi and he did manage to find several.

Tomorrow is the HTMS Chang.

Forgot to mention:
The boat left quite late and did not return to base before 17:00. So by the time I was drop off it was time for dinner. A whole day trip.
There were far more snorkellers than divers on the boat. There was NOT any sign of conflict of interest, the operator has been on the business for quite a while.
The lunch was typical Thai food and with choice for non meat eater.
The boat is well equipped.

Did find a place this morning for sticky rice + BBQ chicken.

Two dives on HTMS Chang. This wreck (LST) is very similar to the one in Subic which I am quite familiar. But HTMS Chang is in much better shape, the superstructure at the stern is still intact.
Vis was very good for the first dive but deteriorated badly for the 2nd dive. School of barracuda, jack and rainbow runner + sea lice on safety stop!
Some divers did a third dive at Blueberry Hill and they like it. Apparently, a patch of nice coral.

One more diving day tomorrow and probably going back to the wreck.

HTMS Chang and Hin Rab(flat rock).
Strong wind.
The vis on the wreck was not as good as the first dive we did yesterday. So we just around the super structure. One of the diver needed about 6 mins to descend because of equalizing issue.

Hin Rab
The vis was awful initially(2m max) but gradually improved(10m) as we moved along. The hard coral was very healthy but not much soft coral.
Very relaxing shallow dive.

Instead of doing the third five on Blueberry Hill, the DM decided to move to other site. I did not dive so no idea where they had gone. My buddy enjoyed the dive though.

Nothing to do tomorrow before returning to Bangkok for the flight home.
Interesting trip but not convinced that I will return in the near future.
HTMS Chang is the best in this trip.

Anyone looking for a holiday with a bit of easy diving then this place is recommended.

Do not waste your money/time diving at Koh Tien(Thian) and Koh Nok.

Heavy humidity over last two days. And it is raining cats and dogs at the moment. Umbrella is absolutely useless! I am glad I do not have to wait for the transfer to diving this morning otherwise I will be soaked to the skin just to walk to the main road. Must be really terrible to those who had booked any boating trip!
Rain is forecasted over next few days.
Leaving the island tomorrow, might have to wear the wet suit to catch the songthaew. Time to find out how useful is my disposal poncho!

Thanks for this trip report. Which dive operator did you go with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom